Just how much of our future
我们的将来
lies in our genes
多少是由客观基因决定的
and how much in our own choices
多少是由我们主观选择决定的
is the question at the heart of a study by a scientist in New York
这才是一名纽约科学家所研究的问题关键
who's also having his own personal struggle
这位科学家也在探索到底什么才是决定
with the idea of what exactly ageing is.
衰老的真正原因
It's not very easy for me to define ageing.
我很难解释什么是衰老
This is not for television, but it's the couple
这不是虚构的 有这么一对夫妇
and the husband turns to the wife and says,
丈夫转过去和妻子说
"Why don't we go upstairs and make love?"
我们为什么不上楼做爱呢
And she says, "I cannot do both."
她说 我两样都做不到
That's the definition.
这就是衰老
What struck him were healthy
他突然想起了
centenarians living in his own community.
社区里那些健康的百岁老人
Kidding aside, I think that ageing can be redefined after
不开玩笑 当你看到那么多百岁老人之后
you see so many centenarians,
或许你就会重新定义衰老的意义
like I do, and I'm really jealous of them.
你会和我一样 真的很嫉妒那些百岁老人
They might look old to you
他们可能看起来很老
but you see that their life is so meaningful.
但你看他们的生活是多么的多姿多彩
What he wanted to find out
他想要找出
was how people get to be 100-plus,
那些百岁老人的生活秘诀
and what exactly we could learn from them.
我们可以向他们学习什么