重点讲解:
1. trade-off
权衡;协调;交易;交换;
eg. The newspaper's headline indicates that there was a trade-off at the summit.
报纸的大字标题表明峰会上大家作出了妥协。
eg. There is inevitably a trade-off with international organisations between speed and legitimacy.
对于国际组织而言,它们不可避免地会在速度与合法性之间进行权衡。
2. be familiar with
熟悉;熟知;
eg. We won't go wrong, because I'm quite familiar with the streets here.
我们不会走错路的,因为我对这儿的街道非常熟悉。
eg. I am not familiar with his character.
我不了解他的性格。
3. split up
拆分;(把…)分成若干较小部分;
eg. Even though museums have begged to borrow her collection, she could never split it up.
尽管已有博物馆请求借用她的收藏品,但她永远不会将藏品分开展出。
eg. Any thought of splitting up the company was unthinkable they said.
他们说,任何将公司拆分开的想法都是不能接受的。
4. look up
查找;
eg. I looked your address up in the personnel file.
我在人事档案里找到了你的地址。
eg. I'll look up the number for you.
我将替你找到这个电话号码。
5. kind of
稍微;有几分;有点儿;
eg. It was kind of sad, really.
有点儿让人难过,真的。
eg. I'm feeling kind of tired.
我感到有点累。
背景资料:
2005年10月26日,Facebook创始人马克·扎克伯格(Mark Zuckerberg)在美国斯坦福大学发表公开演讲,讲述了Facebook的成长故事。谈到Facebook的企业文化时,扎克伯格表示,非正式化制度是Facebook的特点之一。为了给员工提供快乐而舒适的办公氛围,公司鼓励无拘无束的交流方式,以保证创意的不断迸发。
扎克伯格说,自己经常引导员工学习共处,帮助他们熟悉其他员工的思维逻辑,从而实现有效交流。扎克伯格认为,要尊重员工的点子,并在充分信任的基础上授权员工去实践。在他看为,正是这种看似无序的企业文化,使Facebook得以保持创新力并持续发展。
名人经典:
We tried to be as academic about this as possible in trying to think rigorously through the different results that we'll get if we go to different directions. But a lot of it is just like you define your objectives, what you're going for.
我们一直努力以最美术的态度去谨慎地思考不同方式所能产生的不同结果。但多数时候,你得先确定你的目标,你要的是什么。