Your call, please.
你要打电话。
Long distance.
长途台。
Long distance, certainly.
长途台,好的。
This is long distance.
这里是长途台。
I'd like to put in a call to my home in Brooklyn, New York. I'm Ronald Adams. Um, the number is Beechwood 20828.
我想打电话到纽约布鲁克林,我的家里,电话号码是毕奇伍德20828。我是朗诺得·亚当斯。
Certainly, I'll try to get it for you.
好的,我会帮您接通。
Albuquerque? New York for Gallup.
阿尔伯克基台?要从盖洛普打到纽约。
New York.
纽约台。
Gallup, New Mexico calling Beech-wood 20828.
新墨西哥州盖洛普台接通毕奇伍德20828。
I'd read somewhere that love could banish demons.
我不知从哪里读过这句话,爱能驱逐邪魔。
It was the middle of the morning.
现在未到中午。
I knew mother'd be home. I pictured her tall, white-haired in her crisp house-dress, going about her tasks.
我知道母亲一定在家。我想像得出她一头 白发往上梳起,身上穿着有些皱的家居服,走动着做家务。
It'd be enough, I thought, just to hear the even calmness of her voice.
我只要能听到她那平和镇定的声音就好。