So for the next section, I'm gonna talk about building a great product.
下一部分,我将介绍好产品的生产
And here again, I'm gonna use a very broad definition of product.
我重申一下,这里的“产品”也是广义的
It includes customer support and copyright explaining the product.
包括用户支持(客户服务)和产品说明书
Anything involved in your customer's interaction with what you built for them.
这里说的产品包括了你跟消费者之间的一切互动
To build a really great company,
要创建一个大公司
you first have to turn a great idea into a great product.
首先要把你的创意转化为好产品
This is really hard, but it's crucially important,
这一点确实很难,但却至关重要
and fortunately it's pretty fun.
不过,这个过程也很有乐趣
Although great products are always new to the world and
虽然好产品一般都是首创
it's hard to give you advice about what to build,
没法告诉大家要做什么产品
there are enough commonalities that we can give you a lot of advice about how to build it.
但在这些产品中,存在一些共性,从共性入手,我们可以给出一些建议
One of the most important tasks for a founder is to make sure that the company builds a great product.
公司创始人最重要的任务之一就是确保公司开发的产品有价值
Until you've built a great product, almost nothing else matters.
只有开发出优秀的产品,其他的一切才有意义
When really successful startup founders tell the story of their early days.
当创业者向你介绍他们创业初期的艰难岁月时
It's almost always sitting in front of the computer,
一般都是坐在电脑前边,不断完善产品
working on their product or talking to their customers.
或者是跟消费者沟通
That's pretty much all the time.
一般都是这样
They do very little else,
除此之外,很少有其他的活动
and you should be very skeptical if your time allocation is much different.
如果你的情况与此不同,可能你就需要反思自己策略的正确性了
Most other problems that founders are trying to solve, raising money, getting more press,
而其他需要解决的问题,比方说融资,增加知名度
hiring, business development, et cetera.
招聘员工,商业扩张等等
These are significantly easier when you have a great product.
这些问题在有了好产品之后,几乎都会迎刃而解
It's really important to take care of that first.
所以首先必须先有一个好产品
Step 1, is to build something that users love.
首先,要开发受消费者钟爱的产品
At YC, we tell founders to work on their product,
在YC,我们忠告创业者们,除了吃饭睡觉锻炼
talk to users, exercise eat and sleep and very little else.
几乎都要忙于完善产品和跟用户沟通
All the other stuff I just mentioned, PR conferences, recruiting advisers, doing partnerships,
前边提到的其他问题,比方说公关,会议,招聘顾问,寻找合伙人
you should ignore all of that and just build a product.
这些问题都要放到一边,开发产品最重要
And get it as good as possible by talking to your users.
通过跟用户沟通,尽量完善自己的产品
Your job is to build something that users love.
你要做的是开发受用户钟爱的产品
Very few companies that go on to be super successful get there without first doing this.
多数后来发展顺利的大公司都是这么过来的
A lot of good on paper startups fail because they merely make something that people like.
很多创业公司策划写的很好,最后却没有成功,就是因为产品不能得到消费者认可
Making something that people want,
一定要开发消费者渴求的产品
but only a medium amount is a great way to fail and not understand why you're failing.
但只做到中等也是不行的,这样你都不知道自己是败在哪里
So these are the two jobs.
好,这两点一定要注意
Something that we say at YC a lot is that it's better to build a small number,
我们在YC经常说,与其让你的产品受大部分消费者喜欢
it's better to build something that a small number of users love than a large number of users like.
不如让你的产品受小部分消费者钟爱
Of course, it'd be best to build something that a small number of users love.
当然最好是能让更多消费者钟爱
But opportunities to do that for V1 are rare,
但这不能一蹴而就
and they're usually not available to startups.
在创业初期并不好实现
So in practice, you end up choosing either the grey or the orange.
所以需要大家在灰色和橙色两种情况中选择
You make something that a lot of users like a little bit,
你的产品要么是很多消费者都知道,但消费热情不高
or something that a small number of users, like, love a lot.
要么是只为小部分消费者知道,并且钟爱
And this is a very important piece of advice.
这一点很重要
Build something that a small number of users love.
开发的产品要做到让小部分消费者钟爱
It's much easier to expand from something that a small number of
从小部分消费者钟爱的产品
people love to something that a lot of people love.
变成大部分消费者钟爱的产品很容易
Than from something that a lot of people like to a lot of people love.
至少比反过来的情况要简单多了
If you get this right, you can get a lot of other things wrong.
做到了这一点,就算其他条件不成熟也没关系
If you don't get this right,
如果做不到这点
you can get everything else right, and you'll probably still fail.
就算其他一切顺利,创业也不会成功
So when you start on a startup,
所以如果大家要创业的话
this is the only thing you need to care about until it's working.
这是最重要的一点