I once calculated that I did about 1, 000 hours' work in the three years I was at Oxford,an average of an hour a day.
我曾算过 我在牛津的三年里 做过1 000个小时的工作 平均每天一小时
I am not proud of this lack of work.
我不会因为不勤于工作而感到骄傲
I am just describing my attitude at the time an attitude that nothing was worth making an effort for.
我只是在描述我当时的态度 当时就觉得没有什么是值得努力的
He used to produce his work every week for tutorial and, as he never kept any notes or papers or that sort of thing.
每个星期的课外辅导他都做些研究 因为他从来不保留笔记 草稿或者类似这些资料
on leaving my room, he would normally throw it in my wastepaper basket.
离开我房间的时候 他都把那些会扔到我的垃圾桶里
And when he was with other undergraduates at the tutorial.
当他和其他一些大学生一起做研究
and they saw this happen, they were absolutely horrified.
他们看到这些时 完全吓坏了
'cause they thought, he did this work in probably half an hour.
因为他们认为 他只要半小时就完成的工作
If they could have done it in a year,they wouldn't have thrown it in the wastepaper basket.
如果他们能在一年内完成 他们都不会扔到废纸篓里
They would've put it in a frame on their walls.
而是把它们裱起来挂到墙上
Because of my lack of work.I had planned to get through the final exam by doing problems in theoretical physics.
由于我疏于学习 我打算解决理论物理的问题 来通过我的期末考试
and avoiding any questions that required factual knowledge.I didn't do very well.
并避开需要事实性知识的问题 我做的不是很好
I was on the borderline between a first- and second-class degree.
我处在一等和二等学位的边界
and I had to be interviewed to determine which I should get.
我不得不通过面试来决定我能够获得第几等
They asked me about my future plans.I replied, if they gave me a first I would go to Cambridge.
他们询问我的未来计划 我回答到 如果他们给我第一等 我就会去剑桥大学
If I only got a second I would stay in Oxford.They gave me a first.
如果我获得二等学位 我就留在牛津 他们给了我一等学位