But the question always with Stephen was "Should we make him the cox of the first eight or the second eight?"
但是史蒂芬的问题是 "我们应该让他做第一批的八个舵手之一" "还是第二批"
Well, coxes can be adventurous and some coxes can be very steady people.
有些舵手比较冒险 有些则很沉稳
He was rather an adventurous type.
他属于冒险的那一类
You never knew quite what he was going to do when he went out with the crew.
你永远也不知道他接下来会干什么 当他和船员一起的时候
I think he used to bring his work with him into the boat sometimes.
他有时候会想些自己的事情
His sort of thinking gear was going on different levels.
在船上他思维的齿轮开始转动 在不同层次上
We were asked to read chapter 10 in a book called Electricity and Magnetism..
我们被要求阅读 一本书的第十章 书名叫电磁学
by Bleaney and Bleaney, an unlikely combination,a husband-and-wife team
由布里尼夫妇所著 一个不太可能的组合 他们是夫妻档
and at the end of that chapter, there were 13 questions all of them final honors questions.
在第十章的最后部分 有13个问题 都是具有挑战性的问题
I discovered very rapidly that I couldn't do any of them.
我很快发现我一个都不会做
Richard and I worked together for the week and we managed to do 1 1/2 questions which we felt very proud of.
理查德和我一起做了一个星期 我们做出了1道半 我们感到很骄傲
Gordon refused all assistance and managed to do one all by himself.
戈登拒绝外援 独立做出了1道题
Stephen, as always, hadn't even started but the next morning, he went' up to his rooms at 9:00.
史蒂芬 像往常一样 甚至还没开始 但是第二天早上 他9点钟进房间
And we came back about 12:00, maybe five past 12:00.
我们回来是12点 也可能是12点5分
and down came Stephen, and we were in the college gateway, the lodge.
史蒂芬随后也来了 我们在大学门口的长廊碰到
"Ah, Hawking," I said, "how many have you managed to do, then?"
"霍金" 我说 "你做出了多少"
"Well," he said, "I've only had time to do the first ten."
"好吧" 他说 "我只有时间做前十道"
I think at that point we realized that it's not just we weren't in the same street.We weren't on the same planet.
在那一刻 我们认识到我们不仅仅不是一路人 我们根本就不是一类人