Stephen was already ill. Jane knew it.
史蒂芬那时已经确诊 简也清楚地知道
And it was another instance of Stephen's luck, you know
这是史蒂芬又一个幸运之处
meeting the right person at the right time.
在对的时间遇见对的人
because Stephen was very, very badly depressed,
你想想 史蒂芬那时无比沮丧
and he wasn't very much inclined to go on with his work.
并不怎么情愿继续他的工作
He'd been told he's only got 2 and a half years.What can you do in that time?
他被告知生命只剩两年半的时间 在那种境况下你能做什么
But meeting Jane really put him on his mettle and he started to work.
然而与简的相遇给他注入了勇气 接下来 他又开始了工作
I wanted to understand how the universe began.
我曾想探寻 宇宙是如何起源的
Einstein's theory of general relativity showed that the universe was expanding.
爱因斯坦的广义相对论 表明宇宙正在膨胀
But there was no answer to the crucial question
但并没有一个答案来直接回答最关键的问题
"Must there have been a Big Bang a beginning to time?"
"一定要有一个大爆炸 来开启时间的进程吗"
Then, in my third year at Cambridge Roger Penrose made his discovery about the death of stars.
然后 当我在剑桥上三年级时 罗杰·彭罗斯有了关于 恒星死亡的发现
I remember talking to this friend, Ivor Robinson and we were having this animated conversation.
我记得和一位朋友 艾弗·罗宾逊的讨论 那次讨论真是一场思想的碰撞
and then we had to cross a road and as we crossed the road, of course, the conversation stopped and then we got to the other side.
后来我们得过一条马路 当然 我们过马路的时候 谈话中断了 然后我们到了路的另一边
Evidently, I had some idea crossing the road but then the conversation started up,and it got completely blotted out of my mind.
很碰巧的是 我在过马路的时候想出一个点子 但接下来我们了捡起之前的话题 那个点子就从我脑子里不翼而飞了
It was only later, after my friend had gone home and I began to have this strange feeling of elation feeling wonderful.
直到晚些时候 在朋友回家之后 我突然感到一阵奇妙的兴奋 那感觉妙极了
And I couldn't figure out why I should feel like that,so I went back over the day.
我不知道自己当时为何那样 于是我向前梳理这一天的思绪
thinking all possible things which might have contributed to such a feeling.
回想究竟是什么事情 让我产生了这种感觉
and then gradually I unearthed this thought which I'd had while crossing the street.
后来我慢慢挖掘出这个想法 就是在大街上的那个