'Who are you?'I asked,trying to pull my hand away.
“你是谁?”我问道,想把手抽回来。
'Catherine Linton,'it replied.'I've come home.I lost my way!'
“凯瑟琳·林顿,”它回答,“我回家了!我迷路了!”
There seemed to be a child's face looking in at the window.
似乎有一张孩子的脸由窗外探望进来。
Terror made me cruel.
恐惧使我心狠起来。
I rubbed the creature's tiny wrist against the broken glass so that blood poured down on to the bed.
我把那小东西的细小的手腕儿在破玻璃上拉来拉去,直到血淌到了床上。
As soon as the cold fingers let go for a moment,
那冰冷的手指一放松,
I pulled my hand quickly back,put a pile of books in front of the broken window,
我就赶紧把手抽了回来,在窗子缺口前堆了一摞书,
and tried not to listen to the desperate cries outside.
尽量不去听外面那苦苦哀求的声音。
'Go away!'I called.'I'll never let you in,not if you go on crying for twenty years!'
“滚开!”我嚷道,“我决不会让你进来的,再叫20年也没用!”
'It is almost twenty years!'replied the sad little voice.
“已经快有二十年啦!”那凄楚孱弱的声音回答道。
'I've been out here in the dark for nearly twenty years!'
“我流落在外面这黑暗里已经将近20年啦!”
The hand started pushing through the window at the pile of books,and I knew it would find me and catch hold of me again.
那只手开始伸过窗子的破口来推那摞书,我知道它会找到我而且又会抓住我的。
Unable to move,I stared in horror at the shape behind the glass,and screamed.
我一动不能动,惊恐地盯着玻璃后面的影子,放声尖叫起来。
There were rapid footsteps outside my bedroom door,and then I saw the light of a candle in the room.
我的卧室门外很快就传来了急促的脚步声,然后就看到房间里有了烛光。
'Is anyone here?'whispered Heathcliff.
“有人吗?”希斯克利夫低声问。
He could not see me behind the curtains,and clearly did not expect an answer.
我在帘子后面,他看不见,因而显然不指望会有人回答。
I knew I could not hide from him,so I opened the curtains wide.
我知道我躲不过他了,就把帘子拉开了一大块。