‘No more sleep for me tonight,’I replied.
“今晚我没法再睡了,”我回答。
‘I'll wait in the kitchen until it's daylight,and then I'll leave.
“我要到厨房坐到天亮,然后就走。
You needn't worry about my visiting you again either.I've had enough company for a long time.’
您也不必担心我会再来拜访您了。就这伴儿已够折腾我好一阵子了。”
But as I turned to go downstairs,my landlord,thinking he was alone,
当我转身下楼时,我的房东以为就他自己了,
threw himself on the bed,pushed open the window and called into the darkness.
一头倒在床上,推开窗户,对着黑暗喊叫起来。
‘Come in!Come in!’he cried,tears rolling down his face.
“进来吧!进来吧!”他哭喊着,眼泪顺着他的脸淌下来。
‘Catherine,do come!My darling,hear me this time!’
“凯瑟琳,来吧!我的爱人,这次你听到我了吧!”
But only the snow and wind blew into the room.
但只有雪花和着风吹进房来。
How could my dream have produced such madness?
我的梦怎么会让他如此疯狂?
I could not watch his suffering any more,and went downstairs.
我不忍再看他凄苦的样子,下楼去了。
I waited in the kitchen until it was light enough outside for me to find my way through the deep snow back to Thrushcross Grange.
我在厨房等着,直到外面的天光能使我在深深的雪地里找到回画眉山庄的路。
The housekeeper there,Ellen Dean,rushed out to welcome me home.
画眉山庄的女管家,艾伦·迪恩,赶出来迎我回家。
She thought I must have died in the previous night's snowstorm.
她以为我一定在头夜的暴风雪中死了呢。
With a warm fire,and a hot meal,I began to recover from my unpleasant experiences.
抱着暖暖的一炉火,吃了一顿热乎乎的饭菜,我开始从我不快的经历中恢复了过来。
After my stay at Wuthering Heights,I thought I would never want to speak to any human being again,
打我在呼啸山庄过了一夜之后,我想我再也不会同任何人说话了,
but by the end of the next day I was beginning to feel lonely.I decided to ask Mrs Dean to sit with me after supper.
但到了第二天后半晌我又开始觉得孤单。我决定让迪恩夫人在晚饭后陪我坐一会儿。