Why has Anna kidnapped Jane
为什么安娜绑架了简?
Because Anna has a secret.
因为安娜有隐私。
Something very important that I, Alan, know about but mustn't tell the police.
有什么重要的事情是我阿兰知道但又不该告诉警察的。
Anna will kill Jane if I tell anyone about it:
要是我对任何人讲了,安娜就会杀了简。
But what is this secret? What am I supposed to know?
但秘密是什么呢?她以为我知道什么?
There was a knock on the door. A nurse came in.
有人敲门。一个护士走了进来。
"Hello , Mr Cole . A policeman to see you. Are you OK?"
"你好,科尔先生。一个警察来看你。你还好吗?"
"Yes…yes, fine, thanks."
"是……是,挺好的,谢谢。
"You don't look OK." The nurse put her hand on his head, and felt his wrist.
"你脸色不好。"护士把手放在他的额头上,又摸了摸他的脉搏。
" Well, you're not too hot; and your heart's OK."
"唔,不太热,心脏也还可以。"
She smiled at the policeman." just half an hour now. Remember, he's had a very serious accident."
她朝警察笑笑。"就半个小时。记住,他刚出了严重的事故。"
"I know that."
"我知道。"
The policeman came in and sat down, and the nurse went out, pushing the telephone table in front of her.
警察走进来,坐下,护士推着电话桌走了出去。
" I'm Detective Hall, Mr Cole. We met before."
"我是荷尔警探,科尔先生。我们以前见过。"
"Yes," Alan said . The policeman had a kind, friendly face.
"是的,"阿兰说。这个警察有一张和蔼而友善的脸,
The kind of man you could trust. He'll help me, Alan thought.
是那种你可以信赖的人。他会帮助我的,阿兰想,
He's probably a father himself.
他自己可能也是个父亲。
No! Fear burned Alan like a fire.
不!恐惧就像火一样折磨着阿兰。
I mustn't tell him about Anna. If ldo, Jane will die…
我不能跟他谈起安娜。否则简会死的……
"You've probably read in the newspapers, Mr Cole, that we've arrested two men."
"你可能已经从报纸上知道了,科尔先生,我们抓了两个人。"
The policeman told Alan the story about the two Irishmen in the coach factory.'
警察告诉阿兰那两个在马车工厂工作的爱尔兰人的事。
So we know they bombed the coach, and how they did it. I suppose you're pleased about that."
"所以我们知道是他们炸的马车,而且知道是怎么炸的。我想你对此很高兴吧。"
"Er…yes," Alan said quietly." That's good. But why have you come to see me?"
"哦…是啊,"阿兰低声说,"很好,可是……你为什么来看我?"
"I just need to ask you a few questions about the day before the bombing.
"我只是想间几个有关爆炸前一天的问题。
You see, we think these men put the bomb in the coach three days before the bombing, while the coach was at the factory.
你知道,我们认为这两个人在爆炸发生三天前就把炸弹放进了马车,当时马车在工厂。
So the bomb was already in the coach when it came back to the Mews.
因此马车回到马厩时,炸弹已经在里边了。