"Was it?" Alan said. He didn't really understand what the policeman was talking about.
"是吗?"阿兰说。他不太懂警察在说什么。
"We think so, yes. And in your job, you look after the coach, don't you?"
"是的,我们是这么认为。你的工作是照看马车,对吗?"
"The coach, yes. And the horses. Mostly the horses."
"马车,是的。还有马。大部分是马。
"Well, did you notice anything unusual — anything at all?"
"那么,你没发现什么异常吗-任何异常?"
"No, I don't think so."
"没有,我想没有。"
"Let's take this slowly, the policeman said." The day before the bombing, when did you leave work?"
"让我们慢慢来,"警察说,"爆炸前一天,你几点下的班?"
"At…about six o'clock. Half past, perhaps,"
"大约……在六点。也许是六点半。"
"And you didn't go back? ,
"你没再回去吗?"
"No," Alan said quietly.
"没有,"阿兰低声说。
Then he looked away, quickly, out of the window. He felt cold, frightened, lonely.
接着,他迅速地朝窗外望去。他感到又冷又怕又孤独。
"Are you sure about that, Mr Cole? You see, a guard told me you came back later, at about ten,"
"你肯定吗,科尔先生?你知道,一个门卫告诉我你后来回去了,在大约十点钟时。"
"He did? Oh, yes, of course . I went back to see a horse, Sandman . He had a bad leg."
"他说的?噢,是啊,当然。我回去看一匹马,山德曼。它一条腿坏了。"
"I see." The policeman wrote in his book." Alone?"
"我知道了,"警察在本上记录着,"一个人吗?"
"I'm sorry?"
"什么?"
"Were you alone, Mr Cole? When you saw the horse?"
"你是一个人吗,科尔先生?你去看马的时候?"
For a moment Alan didn't answer. A new, very, unwelcome idea came to him, and he began to feel sick with fear.
片刻之时阿兰没有回答。他的脑子里又出现一个讨厌的念头,他开始因恐俱而感到难受。
It wasn't those two Irishmen, he thought, it was Anna!
不是那两个爱尔兰人干的,他想,是安娜!
She put the bomb in the coach when I was with Sandman.
我和山德曼在一起时,她把炸弹放在了马车里。
I was alone with the horse for at least ten minutes;she had plenty of time.
我和马单独在一起至少有10分钟,她有足够的时间。
And that means she didn't love me at all, she just used me.
那也就是说她根本不爱我,她只是利用我。
I thought I was so lucky, an old man with a young pretty woman in my bed — and all the time she was laughing at me.
我还以为我这么一个老头能和一个年轻漂亮的姑娘上床真走运-而她一直都在笑话我。
Worse than that — she's a murderer!
更糟的是-她竟是个凶手!
She killed George and Bernard and John, and she took my leg, and now she's going to kill Jane as well!
她杀了乔治、伯纳德和约翰,她还夺走了我的一条腿,现在她还要杀简!
And I can't say anything about it.
而且我什么也不能说。
That's why she phoned me. To make sure that I never tell the police.
难怪她给我打电话。那是想确认我不会跟警察说什么。
If I tell this policeman, Jane will die.
要是我对警察说,简就会死的。