She was clearly no mere paid dependant but an honoured friend.
可见摩斯坦小姐在这里的身分显然不是一个被雇用的人,而是一位受尊重的朋友。
I was introduced, and Mrs. Forrester earnestly begged me to step in and tell her our adventures.
经介绍后,弗里斯特夫人诚恳地请我进去稍坐,并要求我告诉她今晚的奇遇,
I explained, however, the importance of my errand
我只好向她解释,我还有重要的使命,
and promised faithfully to call and report any progress which we might make with the case.
并且答应她今后一定要把案情的进展随时前来报告。
As we drove away I stole a glance back,
当我告辞登车以后,
and I still seem to see that little group on the step the two graceful, clinging figures,
我存心回过头去看了一眼,我仿佛看见她们两个手拉手的端庄的身影立在台阶上,
the half-opened door, the hall-light shining through stained glass, the barometer, and the bright stair-rods.
还隐约看见半开着的房门、从有色玻璃透出来的灯光、挂着的风雨表和光亮的楼梯扶手。
It was soothing to catch even that passing glimpse of a tranquil English home in the midst of the wild, dark business which had absorbed us.
在这种烦闷的时候,看见这么一个宁静的英国家庭的景象,心神也就畅快得多了。
And the more I thought of what had happened, the wilder and darker it grew.
对于今晚所遭遇的事,我愈想愈觉得前途离奇黑暗。
I reviewed the whole extraordinary sequence of events as I rattled on through the silent, gas-lit streets.
当马车行驶在被煤气路灯照着的寂静的马路上的时候,我重新回忆起这一连串的情节。
There was the original problem: that at least was pretty clear now.
已经搞清楚了的基本问题是:
The death of Captain Morstan, the sending of the pearls, the advertisement, the letter
摩斯坦上尉的死,寄来的珠宝,报上的广告和摩斯坦小姐所接的信。
we had had light upon all those events.
所有这些事件,我们都已大体明确了。
They had only led us, however, to a deeper and far more tragic mystery.
但是这些事件竟将我们引向更深、更凄惨的、奥秘的境界里去:
The Indian treasure, the curious plan found among Morstan's baggage,
印度的宝物,摩斯坦上尉行李中的怪图,
the strange scene at Major Sholto's death,
舒尔托少校临死时的怪状,
the rediscovery of the treasure immediately followed by the murder of the discoverer,
宝物的发现和紧跟着就发生了的宝物发现者的被害,
the very singular accompaniments to the crime, the footsteps, the remarkable weapons,
被害时的各种怪象,那些脚印,奇异的凶器,
the words upon the card, corresponding with those upon Captain Morstan's chart
在一张纸上所发现和摩斯坦上尉的图样上相同的字。
here was indeed a labyrinth in which a man less singularly endowed than my fellow
这可真是一串错综复杂的情节,除非有和福尔摩斯一样的天赋天才,
lodger might well despair of ever finding the clue.
平常的人简直是束手无策,无法来找线索的。