Holmes was standing on the doorstep with his hands in his pockets, smoking his pipe.
福尔摩斯正站在台阶上,两手叉在衣袋里,口里衔着烟斗。
"Ah, you have him there!" said he. "Good dog, then!
他道:"啊,你带它来了!好狗,好狗!
Athelney Jones has gone. We have had an immense display of energy since you left.
埃瑟尔尼·琼斯已经走了。自从你走后,我们大吵了一阵。
He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus but the gatekeeper, the housekeeper, and the Indian servant.
他不但把我们的朋友塞笛厄斯逮捕了,并且连守门的人、女管家和印度仆人全捉去了。
We have the place to ourselves but for a sergeant upstairs. Leave the dog here and come up."
除在楼上留了警长一人以外,这院子已是属于咱们的了。请把狗留在这儿,咱们上楼去。"
We tied Toby to the hall table and reascended the stairs.
我们把狗拴在门内的桌子腿上,就又重新上楼去了。
The room was as we had left it, save that a sheet had been draped over the central figure.
房间里的一切仍保持着以前的样子,只是在死者身上蒙了一块床单。
A weary-looking police-sergeant reclined in the corner.
一个疲倦的警长斜靠在屋角里。
"Lend me your bull's eye, Sergeant," said my companion.
我的伙伴道:"警长,请把你的牛眼灯借给我用一用。
"Now tie this bit of card round my neck, so as to hang it in front of me. Thank you.
把这块纸板替我系在脖子上,好让它挂在胸前。谢谢你!
Now I must kick off my boots and stockings. Just you carry them down with you, Watson.
现在我还要脱下靴子和袜子。华生,请你把靴袜带下楼去,
I am going to do a little climbing. And dip my handkerchief into the creosote.
我现在要试一试攀登的本事。请你把这条手巾略蘸些木馏油,
That will do. Now come up into the garret with me for a moment."
好了,蘸一点就成。请再同我到屋顶室来一趟。"
We clambered up through the hole. Holmes turned his light once more upon the footsteps in the dust.
我们从洞口爬了上去。福尔摩斯重新用灯照着灰尘上的脚印,
"I wish you particularly to notice these footmarks," he said.
说道:"请你特别注意这些脚印,
"Do you observe anything noteworthy about them?"
你看出这里有什么特殊的情况没有?"
"They belong," I said, "to a child or a small woman."
我道:"这是一个孩子或者一个矮小妇人的脚印。"
"Apart from their size, though. Is there nothing else?"
"除了脚的大小以外,没有别的了吗?"
"They appear to be much as other footmarks."
"好象和一般的都相同。"
"Not at all. Look here! This is the print of a right foot in the dust.
"绝不相同。看这儿!这是灰尘里的一只右脚印,
Now I make one with my naked foot beside it. What is the chief difference?"
现在我在他旁边印上一个我的光着脚的右脚印,你看看主要的区别在哪里?"
"Your toes are all cramped together. The other print has each toe distinctly divided."
"你的脚趾都并拢在一起,这个小脚印的五个指头是分开的。"
"Quite so. That is the point. Bear that in mind.
"很对,说得正对,记住这一点。
Now, would you kindly step over to that flap-window and smell the edge of the woodwork?
现在请你到那个吊窗前嗅一嗅窗上的木框。
I shall stay over here, as I have this handkerchief in my hand."
我站在这边,因为我拿着这条手巾呢。"
I did as he directed and was instantly conscious of a strong tarry smell.
我依着去嗅,觉得有一股冲鼻的木馏油气味。
"That is where he put his foot in getting out.
"这是他临走时用脚踩过的地方,
If you can trace him, I should think that Toby will have no difficulty.
如果你能辨得出来,透比辨别这气味就更不成问题了。
Now run downstairs, loose the dog, and look out for Blondin."
现在请你下楼,放开透比,等我下来。"
By the time that I got out into the grounds Sherlock Holmes was on the roof,
我下楼回到院里的时候,福尔摩斯已经到了屋顶。
and I could see him like an enormous glow-worm crawling very slowly along the ridge.
他胸前挂着灯,好象一个大萤火虫在屋顶上慢慢地爬行。
I lost sight of him behind a stack of chimneys,
到烟囱后面就不见了,
but he presently reappeared and then vanished once more upon the opposite side.
后来又忽隐忽现地绕到后面去了。
When I made my way round there I found him seated at one of the corner eaves.
我就也转到后面去,发现他正坐在房檐的一角上。
"That you, Watson?" he cried.
他喊道:"那儿是你么,华生?"
"Yes."
"是我。"
"This is the place. What is that black thing down there?"
"这就是那个人上下的地方,下面那个黑东西是什么?"
"A water-barrel."
"一只水桶。"
"Top on it?"
"有盖吗?"
"Yes."
"有。"
"No sign of a ladder?"
"附近有梯子吗?"
"No."
"没有。"
"Confound the fellow! It's a most breakneck place.
"好混帐的东西!从这儿下来是最危险的了。
I ought to be able to come down where he could climb up.
可是他既然能够从这儿爬上来,我就能从这儿跳下去。
The water-pipe feels pretty firm. Here goes, anyhow."
这个水管好象很坚固,随他去吧,我下来了!"