'By the way,did you notice Mr Boldwood in church this morning?'asked Liddy,making it very clear who she was thinking of.
"哎,今天早晨在教堂你注意伯德伍德先生了吗?"利蒂问,指明她想的是谁。
'He didn't turn his head once to look at you!'
"他一次也没有回头看你!"
'Why should he?'replied Bathsheba,annoyed.
"他干吗要回头看我?"芭丝谢芭不高兴地说。
'I didn't ask him to look at me. '
"我并没有要求他看我。"
'Oh no. But everybody else in church was looking at you. '
"噢,不。我是说教堂里的其他人都在看你。"
Bathsheba did not reply to this.
芭丝谢芭没有吭声。
After a few minutes she said,'Oh,I nearly forgot the valentine card I bought yesterday!'
过了一会儿,她说,"哎呀,我差点忘了昨天买的情人卡!"
'A valentine!Who's it for,miss?Farmer Boldwood?'
"情人卡!给谁的,小姐?给农场主伯德伍德?"
'No,of course not. It's for one of the village children,that sweet little boy of Jan Coggan's.
"不,当然不是。是给村里的一个孩子的,就是简·考根家那个可爱的男孩。
I'll write the address on the envelope now,and we'll post it today. '
我现在就把地址写在信封上,我们今天就把它发出去。"
'What fun it would be to send it to that silly old Boldwood!'laughed Liddy.
"要是把它送给那个傻乎乎的老伯德伍德该多有意思!"利蒂大笑着说。
Bathsheba paused to consider.
芭丝谢芭不再说话,若有所思。
It was certainly a little depressing that the wealthiest and most important man in the area did not seem to admire her,as all the other men did.
其他人都很欣赏她,而这一带最富有、最重要的人却好像对她不在乎,这的确有点令人沮丧。
'We'll throw a coin to decide,'she said lightly.
"我们来扔硬币决定,"她随意地说。
'No,we shouldn't play with money on a Sunday.
"不,星期天我们不该玩钱。
I know,we'll throw this book.
我们来扔这本书。
If it comes down open,I'll send the valentine to Jan's son.
如果它开着掉下来,我就把情人卡送给简的儿子。
If it comes down shut,I'll send it to Boldwood. '
如果合着掉下来,就送给伯德伍德。"
The little book went up in the air and came down shut.
那本小书被抛向空中,合着掉了下来。
Bathsheba immediately picked up her pen and wrote Boldwood's address on the envelope.
芭丝谢芭立刻拿起笔,在信封上写了伯德伍德的地址。