What would you learn in college right now?
你现在上大学的话,想学什么专业?
What would I learn in college?
我现在上大学的话,想学什么专业?
Hm, literary theory? No, just kidding.
文学理论。开玩笑的啦
Let's see, well, you know, honestly, I think I might try and study physics.
我想想,我可能想努力学物理
I feel that's the thing I feel like I missed.
没有学好物理,是我人生一大遗憾
For some reason, like, I was all excited,
出于某个原因,我很感兴趣
when I was a kid, computers were the thing, maybe they still are, right?
当我还是个小孩子的时候,计算机正盛行,计算机目前仍盛行
So I sort of got very excited about writing code.
我对写代码很感兴趣
And you could do things with, you could do,
写代码对硬件和环境要求不高
you could write real programs in your bedroom.
只要有台电脑,在卧室里就能写
You can't like, build real linear accelerators.
但是却不能在家里建直线加速器
Well maybe you can, so maybe, physics.
当然也有可能建成功,应该是物理
I feel kind of, I always, I have this, I sort of look lon,
我觉得答案应该是物理
I notice I sort of look longingly at physics. So maybe.
我一直想学物理
But I don't know if that's, what am I saying?
我不知道…
I'm saying, I was about to say,
我想表达的是
I don't know if that's going to be helpful starting a startup and
我不知道学物理是否有助于创业
I've just told you to follow you own curiosity!
只要跟着好奇心走就行啦
So who cares if it's helpful? It'll turn out to be helpful. Questions?
谁关心是否有助于创业呢?从结果来看,还是有助于的
Another question online,
还是一个网上的问题
what are your recurring systems in your work and personal life that make you efficient?
你有什么机制让工作和生活更有效率呢?
Oh, boy, Ookay.
好的
So what are my recurring systems in my work and personal life that make me efficient?
我有什么机制让工作和生活更有效率呢?
Well, having kids is a good way to be efficient.
生孩子是提高效率的好方法
Cuz you have no time left, so if you wanna get anything done,
因为,一旦有了孩子,留给自己的时间就少了
the amount of done you do per time is high.
如果想在有限时间内把工作做完,就得提高效率
So, actually many parents, many startup founders who have kids have made that point explicitly.
其实很多人父人母级别的创业者深有体会
It causes you to focus, because you have no choice.
你必须得专注,因为你别无他法
Let's see but that's not,
我申明一下
I wouldn't actually recommend you having kids,
我并不鼓励大家为了变得专注
just to have you more focused so,
而生孩子哈
let's see, you know, I don't think I'm very efficient.
我自己效率并不高
I have two ways of getting work done.
我有两个办法逼着自己把事情做完
One is, like, during Y Combinator, the way I worked on Y Combinator was, I was forced to, right?
一个是,在YC的时候我是这么逼自己的
Like, there was just, I had to set the application deadline.
我设定答复申请的截止日期
And then people would apply,
创始人提交申请
and then there would be all of these applications
我必须在一定时间内答复这些申请
that I'd have to respond to by a certain time, so I had to read them.
因此我得研究这些申请
And I knew if I read them badly we would get bad startups,
如果我没有研究好,就可能会投资一些不好的创业公司
so I tried really hard to read them well, right?
我得努力研究申请书
So I set up this situation that forced me to work.
通过设定截止日期来逼着我工作
The other kind of work I do is like writing essays.
另一个方法,类似于写文章
And I do that involuntarily.
我是不由自主地写的
I'm like walking down the street and the essay starts writing itself in my head.
就像,我走在大街上,文章就自己浮现在我的脑海里了
And so really I either force myself to work on less exciting things or,
我要么是逼着自己做不是那么感兴趣的事
I can't help working on exciting things,
要么是不自主地做感兴趣的事
and I don't have any useful techniques for making myself efficient.
我没有什么好办法来提高效率
Sorry.
不好意思
If you work on things you like you don't have to force yourself to be efficient. Yes?
如果是做感兴趣的事,根本不需要逼着自己提高效率