Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant, City Point.
致陆军总司令尤利西斯·格兰特 锡蒂波因特
I have read your words with interest.
我极有诚意的读完您的电报
I ask that, regardless of any action I take in the matter of the visit of the Richmond commissioners,
不论我如何应对里士满官员来访一事 我要求您
you maintain among your troops military preparedness for battle,as you have done until now.
请您务必让军队一如既往地时刻保持备战状态
Have Captain Saunders convey the commissioners to me here in Washington.
请桑德斯上尉带该特使团前来华盛顿与我商谈
A. Lincoln and the date.Yes sir.
亚伯拉罕·林肯再加上日期 好的 先生
Shall I transmit, sir?You think we choose to be born?
现在就发吗 先生 我们能决定自己的出生吗
I don't suppose so.Are we fitted to the times we're born into?
我觉得不能 我们是不是生逢其时
Well, I don't know about myself.You may be sir. Fitted.
我不知道自己是不是 但您也许是的 先生
What do you reckon?Well,I'm an engineer.
你是怎么想的 我是名工程师
I reckon there's machinery but No one's done the fitting.
这个时代有机械 但是没有人天生就适合
You're an engineer.You must know Euclid's axioms and common notions.
你是名工程师 那一定知道欧几里得的定理和公理
I must've in school, but I never had much of schooling,but I read Euclid,in an old book I borrowed.
我在学校学过 但是 我受过的学校教育不多 但是在一本借到的旧书上 读过欧几里得
Little enough ever found its way in here, but once learnt it stayed learnt.
这里没有理解住多少 但是 一旦学会就永远都记得