The World, the Herald and the Times, New York, Chicago,
环球报 先驱报 泰晤士报 纽约客 芝加哥报
the Journal of Commerce, even your hometown paper's here.
商业日报 甚至你家乡的小报都来了
Say you believe only in legal equality for all races,not racial quality. I beg you, sir.
万分恳请您 告诉他们你只认可不同种族的法律地位平等 而不是种族平等
Compromise.Or you risk it all.
要么听我劝告 要么以身犯险
I've asked you a question, Mr. Stevens,and you must answer me.
史蒂文斯先生 我有个问题要问您 也请您回答我
Do you or do you not hold that the precept that all men are created equal is meant literally?
您是否认为要按字面的意思 去理解人人生而平等
Is that not the true purpose of the amendment?
这难道不是修正案的真实目的吗
To promote your ultimate and ardent dream to elevate.The true purpose of the amendment, Mr. Wood,
用以实现您的终极野心 来提升 修正案的真正目的 伍德先生
you perfectly-named,brainless, obstructive object?
难道是您说的那些虚有其表 肤浅至极 繁琐不堪的东西吗
Now you have always insisted, Mr. Stevens,that Negroes are the same as white men are.
史蒂文斯先生 您一直坚持认为 黑人和我们白人是一样的
The true purpose of the amendment.
修正案的真正目的
I don't hold with equality in all things,only with equality before the law and nothing more.
我并非肯定一切平等 而只是承认他们的法律地位平等
That's not so! You,You believe that Negroes are entirely equal to white men.
不是这样 你 你是认为黑人和白人完全一样
You've said it a thousand times,For shame! For shame!
你之前无数次这样表态 不知羞 不知羞