Lesson 6: Work To Learn— Don't Work For Money
第六课 学会不为钱工作
In 1995, I granted an interview with a newspaper in Singapore.
1995年,我接受了新加坡一家报纸的采访。
The young female reporter was on time, and the interview got under way immediately.
一位年轻的女记者准时赴约,采访立即开始了。
We sat in the lobby of a luxurious hotel, sipping coffee and discussing the purpose of my
visit to Singapore.
我们坐在一家豪华酒店的大厅里,喝着咖啡,谈论我此次行程的目的。
I was to share the platform with Zig Ziglar.
我和畅销书作家金克拉一起接受采访。
He was speaking on motivation, and I was speaking on “The Secrets of the Rich.”
他谈的是动机问题,而我谈的是“富人的秘密”。
“Someday, I would like to be a best-selling author like you,” she said.
“有一天,我想成为像你这样的畅销书作家。”女记者说。
I had seen some of the articles she had written for the paper, and I was impressed.
我曾经读过她在报上发表的一些文章,而且印象深刻。
She had a tough, clear style of writing. Her articles held a reader's interest.
她的文章风格犀利且有条理,深受读者的欢迎。
“You have a great style,” I said in reply. “What holds you back from achieving your dream?
”
“你的文章风格很好,”我回答,“那么,是什么妨碍了你实现梦想?”
“My work does not seem to go anywhere,” she said quietly.
“我的写作之路似乎前途渺茫,”她平静地说,
“Everyone says that my novels are excellent, but nothing happens. So I keep my job with the
paper.
“人们都说我的小说非常好,但是仅此而已。因此,我依然继续在报社工作。
At least it pays the bills. Do you have any suggestions?”
至少,这能挣钱支付账单。你能给我些建议吗?”
“Yes, I do,” I said brightly. “A friend of mine here in Singapore runs a school that
trains people to sell.
“好的,”我高兴地说,“我在新加坡的一位朋友办了一所学校,培训销售技能。
He runs sales-training courses for many of the top corporations here in Singapore,
他为新加坡的许多大公司讲授营销课程,
and I think attending one of his courses would greatly enhance your career.”
我想如果你去听听他的课,或许会对你的职业生涯有帮助。”
She stiffened. “Are you saying I should go to school to learn to sell?”
她有点不快,“你是说我应该去学销售吗?”
I nodded.
我点点头。
“I have a master's degree in English Literature. Why would I go to school to learn to be a
salesperson? I am a professional. ”The interview was over.
“我拥有英语文学硕士学位,我干吗要去学做推销员?我是一个专业人士。”于是采访草草收场了。