Even if a problem is insoluble on its face, what kinds of ways we human beings tend to react to such problems?
即使问题目前不能解决,我们一般如何对待这样的问题呢?
So in times of economic stress, we should call to mind the perennial human temptation to demonize others.
时代的经济压力下我们应该想到人们常常丑化别人,
So that when we do find ourselves in a culture of denigration toward immigrants,
因此当我们发现我们对于移民文化诋毁时,
we might remember that there might be another cause behind this, besides the behavior of these contemptible immigrants.
我也会想起也有在这之后有另一个因素,除了这些卑劣的移民者行为之外的,
Maybe this economic anxiety that we're all at the mercy of is generating irrational forces in us that are accounting for this.
也许由于经济焦虑,我们都怜悯在我们身上产生对此负责的非理性力量。
So that isn't solving the problem but it might help the problem not to get worse if we're aware in times of economic stress
所以那不是解决问题的途径只会越弄越糟,如果我们处于时代经济压力下,
that human beings perennially scapegoat and target groups that are readily defined as on the margin.
那么人们总是替罪羔羊并且目标也很容易地定义在那些边缘人群上。
So that would be one comment.
因此那是闲话了。
Other, Yes sir? Are you a second generation immigrant?
还有人吗?先生?你是二代移民吗?
I just...no friend of mine, who is. I'm a second generation immigrant, actually.
我的朋友都不是。我是二代移民。
I just want to make a comment about the economy.
我只想发表一下关于经济的评论。
I don't really need a mic, do I?
我真的不需要话筒,可以吗?
You're one of those special people.
你很特别。
But Gish was talking about the sort of creativity that you get with living in this subliminal space between the old country and the new.
但任谈了一点关于当你生活在旧环境和新环境中潜意识所激发的创造力。