Jones turned our searchlight upon her, so that we could plainly see the figures upon her deck.
琼斯把我们的探照灯向它直射,照见了船面上的人影。
One man sat by the stern, with something black between his knees, over which he stooped.
一个人坐在船尾,两腿跨着一个黑的东西,
Beside him lay a dark mass, which looked like a Newfoundland dog.
旁边还蹲伏着一堆黑影子,好象一只纽芬兰狗。
The boy held the tiller, while against the red glare of the furnace I could see old Smith,
一个男孩把舵,从锅炉的红光中,
stripped to the waist, and shovelling coals for dear life.
可以看见斯密司光着上身在拚命地加谋。
They may have had some doubt at first as to whether we were really pursuing them,
起初他们或者还不能肯定我们是否是在追赶他们,
but now as we followed every winding and turning which they took there could no longer be any question about it.
可是到现在我们在每个转弯抹角的地方都紧紧地跟在后面,那就没有问题是在追他们了。
At Greenwich we were about three hundred paces behind them.
在到了格林威治的时候,两船的距离约有三百步,
At Blackwall we could not have been more than two hundred and fifty.
再到布莱克沃尔时两船相隔已不过二百五十步了。
I have coursed many creatures in many countries during my checkered career,
我奔波了一生,在不少的国家里都打过猎,也追赶过不少的野兽,
but never did sport give me such a wild thrill as this mad, flying man-hunt down the Thames.
然而都没有象今晚在泰晤士河上追人这样惊险出奇。
Steadily we drew in upon them, yard by yard.
我们和前船已是一步接近一步了,
In the silence of the night we could hear the panting and clanking of their machinery.
在寂静的夜里,可以很清楚地听到前面船上机器的响声。
The man in the stern still crouched upon the deck, and his arms were moving as though he were busy,
坐在船尾上的那个人还是蹲在那里,两手似乎挥动得很忙,
while every now and then he would look up and measure with a glance the distance which still separated us.
不断地抬起头来估量两船的距离。
Nearer we came and nearer. Jones yelled to them to stop.
我们相距更近了,琼斯喝叫着命令前船速停。
We were not more than four boat's-lengths behind them, both boats flying at a tremendous pace.
只有四只船的长短,两船仍在飞奔前驶。