"Why not? It's true, and I have to say what is true.
“为什么不说?这是真的,我得说实话。
I am not entirely happy about my diet of flies and bugs, but it's the way I'm made.
我对吃苍蝇和甲虫并不真正感到快活,可我天生就这样。
A spider has to pick up a living somehow or other, and I happen to be a trapper.
蜘蛛总得想办法活下去啊,碰巧我是一个结网捉虫的。
I just naturally build a web and trap flies and other insects.
我只是生来就结网捉苍蝇和其他昆虫。
My mother was a trapper before me. Her mother was a trapper before her.
在我之前,我妈妈结网捉虫。在它之前,它妈妈结网捉虫。
All our family have been trappers.
我们一家都结网捉虫。
Way back for thousands and thousands of years we spiders have been laying for flies and bugs."
再回过去几千几万年,我们蜘蛛一直埋伏着捉苍蝇和甲虫。”
"It's a miserable inheritance," said Wilbur, gloomily.
“这真是一种悲惨的遗传,”威尔伯难过地说。
He was sad because his new friend was so bloodthirsty.
它之所以这么难过是因为它这位新朋友那么嗜血。
"Yes, it is," agreed Charlotte. "But I can't help it.
“不错,是这样,”夏洛同意说,“可我没办法。
I don't know how the first spider in the early days of the world
我不知道开天辟地以来,第一只蜘蛛是怎么会
happened to think up this fancy idea of spinning a web,
想出结网这个异想天开的主意的,
but she did, and it was clever of her, too.
可它做到了,它也真叫聪明。
And since then, all of us spiders have had to work the same trick. It's not a bad pitch, on the whole."
从此以后,我们所有的蜘蛛都得玩同样的把戏。总的说来,这不是个坏点子。”