I was surprised at this circumstance.
见此情景,我心里一惊。
But still more was I amazed to perceive the air quite dim, as if filled with smoke.
但更使我吃惊的是,我发觉空气十分混浊,仿佛充满了烟雾,
And, while looking to the right hand and left,
正当我左顾右盼,寻找蓝色烟圈的出处时,
to find whence these blue wreaths issued, I became further aware of a strong smell of burning.
我进一步闻到了一股强烈的焦臭味。
Something creaked. It was a door ajar,
什么东西吱咯一声。那是一扇半掩的门,
and that door was Mr. Rochester's, and the smoke rushed in a cloud from thence.
罗切斯特先生的房门,团团烟雾从里面冒出来。
I thought no more of Mrs. Fairfax;
我不再去想费尔法克斯太太。
I thought no more of Grace Poole, or the laugh:
也不再去想格雷斯·普尔,或者那笑声。
In an instant, I was within the chamber.
一瞬间,我到了他房间里。
Tongues of flame darted round the bed.
火舌从床和四周窜出。
The curtains were on fire.
帐幔己经起火。
![经典文学《简·爱》 经典文学《简·爱》](http://pic.kekenet.com/2016/1222/1391482383650.jpg)
In the midst of blaze and vapour, Mr. Rochester lay stretched motionless, in deep sleep.
在火光与烟雾的包围中,罗切斯特先生伸长了身子,一动不动地躺着,睡得很熟。
“Wake! wake!” I cried. I shook him, but he only murmured and turned.
“快醒醒!快醒醒!”我一面推他。一面大叫,可是他只是咕哝了一下,翻了一个身。
The smoke had stupefied him.
他已被烟雾薰得麻木了。
Not a moment could be lost.
一刻也不能耽搁了。
The very sheets were kindling.
连床单也已经了火。
I rushed to his basin and ewer.
我冲向他的脸盆和水罐。
Fortunately, one was wide and the other deep, and both were filled with water.
幸好一个很大,另一个很深,都灌满了水。
I heaved them up, deluged the bed and its occupant,
我举起脸盆和水罐,用水冲了床和睡在床上的人,
flew back to my own room, brought my own water-jug, baptized the couch afresh,
随之飞跑回我自己的房间、取了我的水罐,重新把床榻弄湿。
and, by God's aid, succeeded in extinguishing the flames which were devouring it.
由于上帝的帮助,我终于扑灭了正要吞没床榻的火焰。