And that gives you a fundamental idea of how viral a product is.
这样你就能知道产品是如何进行病毒营销的了
So Hotmail is like, the canonical example of brilliant viral marketing, right?
Hotmail就是一个典型的病毒营销的例子
Back when Hotmail launched, there were a bunch of mail companies that had been funded
Hotmail刚建立的时候已经有很多电子邮件公司获得了投资
and they were throwing huge amounts of money at traditional advertising.
并在传统广告上面投入了很多钱
How many people know the Hotmail story, of virality?
大家知道Hotmail病毒营销的经过吗?
Awesome, great, new audience, sorry.
很好,有新同学
Those two or three people will be bored.
知道的几个同学可能会对下面的内容感到无聊
But Hotmail back in, back at that time.
Hotmail刚建立那会儿
People couldn't get free email clients, they had to be tied to their ISP.
人们不能免费使用电子邮件必须依靠网络服务器提供者(ISP)
And Hotmail and a few other companies launched and their clients were available wherever you went.
Hotmail和一些其他公司可以让用户在任何地点使用电子邮件
You could log in via library internet or whatever, school internet, and be able to get access to that.
可以在图书馆,学校或任何地方的网络上接入Hotmail
Which was a really big value proposition for everyone, who wanted to access it.
这对于需要使用电子邮件的人来说有巨大吸引力
Most of the companies, went out there and did big TV campaigns and billboard campaigns and
很多公司花了大价钱在电视上,广告牌上
newspaper campaigns and things like that forced a lot of advertising of Yahoo, all of those things.
报纸上Yahoo网站等媒介上打了无数广告
But the Hotmail team didn't have as much funding, and so they had to scrabble around to figure out how to do it.
但Hotmail没有那么多资金因此他们不得不摸索新的广告方式
So, what they did was add that little link at the bottom of every email that said, sent from Hotmail, get your free email here.
他们的方法是在每封邮件的下面加一个小的链接"发送自Hotmail点此获取免费邮箱"
Now, the interesting thing is that meant the payload was low.
有趣的是,这样做的有效载荷是很低的
Right, you email one person at a time, not necessarily gonna have a huge payload.
因此你一次只能发给一个人不会有很大的有效载荷
Maybe you send around some of those viral spam emails.
或许你可以发送大量的垃圾邮件
But then I'm not sure I'll click on your link.
但估计很多人不会去点
The frequency is high, though because you're emailing the same people over and over and over.
频率很高因为你可能每天给同一个人发很多信
Which means you're gonna hit them once, twice, three times a day with that same link and really move up the impressions.
也就是说你可以不断给他们发送相同的链接从而使他们加深印象