I had everybody in the country weighing themselves ten times a day,
我要让所有美国人每天称十次体重
and me just sitting there like John D. Rockefeller of weighing machines.
我只要坐在那里 像体重计行业的洛克菲勒
The allowance when I was a little boy was a nickel a week,
我小时候每个星期的零花钱是一个星期五美分
but I liked the idea of having a little more than a nickel a week to work with,and I went into business very early.
但我想让我一个星期的零花钱不止五美分 我很早就进入了商业领域了
I started selling Coca-Cola door to door.I sold gum door to door.
我挨家挨户卖可口可乐 卖口香糖
I sold "Saturday Evening Post," "Liberty" magazine,"Ladies Home Journal," you name it.
卖星期六晚班 卖自由杂志 妇女家庭杂志
I think I enjoyed the game almost right from the start.
我觉得我一开始就很喜欢这项游戏
But I like being my own boss.
但我喜欢做我自己的老板
That's one thing I liked about delivering papers.
这是我喜欢投递报纸的原因之一
I could arrange the route I wanted. Nobody was bothering me at 5:00 or 6:00 in the morning.
我可以安排我喜欢的路线 在早上五六点钟没人打扰我
I was delivering 500 papers a day,and I made a penny a paper, but in terms of compounding,that penny's turned into something else.
我一天投递500份报纸 一份报纸赚一便士 为了获得复利 那一便士换成了其他东西
Einstein is reputed to have said that "Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world" or something like that,
爱因斯坦曾经说过复利是世界的第八大奇迹而出名
and it goes back to that story you probably learned when you were in grade school where somebody did something for the king,
有一个故事 你可能在学校里听过 有人为国王做事
and the king said, "What can I do for you?"
国王说 我能为你做什么
And he said, "Well, lets take a chessboard and put one kernel of wheat on the first square
他说 拿个棋盘 第一个格子里放一颗谷粒
and then double it on the second and double it on the third."
第二个格子放两颗 第三个格子里再翻倍