"You must leave that to me. I have already arranged what is to occur.
"这以后的事一定要让我来办。我对将要发生的事情已有所安排。
There is only one point on which I must insist. You must not interfere, come what may. You understand?"
现在只有一点我必须坚持的,那就是,不管发生什么情况,你都一定不要干预。你懂吗?"
"I am to be neutral?"
"难道我什么事也不管吗?"
"To do nothing whatever. There will probably be some small unpleasantness.
"什么事都别管。也许会有些小小的不愉快事件。
Do not join in it. It will end in my being conveyed into the house.
你可不要介入。在我被送进屋子时,这种不愉快的事就会结束的。
Four or five minutes afterwards the sitting-room window will open.
四、五分钟以后,起居室的窗户将会打开。
You are to station yourself close to that open window."
你要在紧挨着打开窗户的地方守候着。"
"Yes." "You are to watch me, for I will be visible to you." "Yes."
"是。""你一定要盯着我,我总是会让你看得见的。""是。"
"And when I raise my hand–so–you will throw into the room what I give you to throw,
"我一举手--就象这样--你就把我让你扔的东西扔进屋子里去,
and will, at the same time, raise the cry of fire. You quite follow me?" "Entirely."
同时,提高嗓门喊'着火了'。你完全听清楚我的话了吗?""完全懂了。"
"It is nothing very formidable," he said, taking a long cigar-shaped roll from his pocket.
"那没有什么大不了的事,"他从口袋里掏出一只长长的象雪茄烟模样的卷筒说道,
"It is an ordinary plumber's smoke-rocket, fitted with a cap at either end to make it self-lighting.
"这是一只管子工用的普通烟火筒,两头都有盖子,可以自燃。
Your task is confined to that. When you raise your cry of fire, it will be taken up by quite a number of people.
你的任务就是专管这东西。当你高喊着火的时候,一定有许多人赶来救火。
You may then walk to the end of the street, and I will rejoin you in ten minutes.
这样你就可以走到街的那一头去。我在十分钟之内和你重新会合。
I hope that I have made myself clear?"
我希望你已经明白我所说的话了,是吗?"
"I am to remain neutral, to get near the window, to watch you, and at the signal to throw in this object,
"我应该保持不介入的状态;靠近窗户;盯着你;一看到信号,就把这东西扔进去;
then to raise the cry of fire, and to wait you at the corner of the street." "Precisely."
然后喊着火了;并且到街的拐角那里去等你。""完全正确。"
"Then you may entirely rely on me."
"那你就瞧我的吧。"
"That is excellent. I think, perhaps, it is almost time that I prepare for the new role I have to play."
"这太好了。我想,也许快到我为扮演新角色作准备的时候了。"