We live in an incredibly busy world.
我们生活在一个异常纷杂的世界。
The pace of life is often frantic, our minds are always busy, and we're always doing something.
生活的步调时常快得疯狂,我们的头脑(心灵)一直忙碌运转着,而我们每时每刻都在做着事情
So with that in mind, I'd like you just to take a moment to think, when did you last take any time to do nothing?
记住这点的同时,我希望你们能拿出一小会儿时间来想想,上一次自己什么都不做是什么时候?
Just 10 minutes, undisturbed? And when I say nothing, I do mean nothing.
仅仅10分钟,毫无干扰地?当我说什么都不做,就是什么都不做。
So that's no emailing, texting, no Internet, no TV, no chatting, no eating, no reading.
没有电子邮件、短信,没有互联网,没有电视、聊天、食物、阅读,
Not even sitting there reminiscing about the past or planning for the future.
甚至不包括坐着回想过去或者思考将来。
Simply doing nothing. I see a lot of very blank faces.
只是什么都不做。我看到你们中很多茫然的脸。
You probably have to go a long way back.
我的想法是,你们很可能要往后退很大一步。
And this is an extraordinary thing, right?
而这是一件很离奇的事情,对吧?
We're talking about our mind.
我们说的是我们的大脑(心灵)。
The mind, our most valuable and precious resource, through which we experience every single moment of our life.
大脑(心灵),对我们来说最珍贵的东西,我们通过它来体验生活中的每一个时刻,
The mind that we rely upon to be happy, content, emotionally stable as individuals,
全靠它(心灵)我们作为一个个体,能感到幸福、满足、情感稳定,
and at the same time, to be kind and thoughtful and considerate in our relationships with others.
同时在我们与他人的关系中变得善良与体贴。
This is the same mind that we depend upon to be focused, creative, spontaneous,
靠着这个大脑(心灵),我们能够专注、有创意、自觉,
and to perform at our very best in everything that we do.
并在我们做的所有事情中发挥自己的才能。
And yet, we don't take any time out to look after it.
然而,我们没有花哪怕一点时间来关心它。
In fact, we spend more time looking after our cars, our clothes and our hair than we
事实上,相较而言,我们更关心自己的汽车、衣服和头发的时间都要更多
okay, maybe not our hair, but you see where I'm going.
好吧,也许不包括我们的头发,但你们懂我想要说的。
The result, of course, is that we get stressed.
而结果,当然是我们感到压力。