He began to cry, to scream, to knock his head against the wall,
他开始又哭又叫,用脑袋去撞墙。
but the more he shrieked, the longer and the more hairy grew his ears.
可他越是叫喊,耳朵里的毛长得越多越长。
At those piercing shrieks, a Dormouse came into the room, a fat little Dormouse, who lived upstairs.
听到这尖锐的叫声,住楼上的一只小胖睡鼠走进木偶的屋子。
Seeing Pinocchio so grief-stricken, she asked him anxiously:
看见皮诺乔极度悲伤,她就紧张地问他:
"What is the matter, dear little neighbor?"
“你怎么啦,我的好邻居?”
"I am sick, my little Dormouse, very, very sick—and from an illness which frightens me!
“我病了,我的小睡鼠,病得非常非常厉害……这种病可真叫我害怕!
Do you understand how to feel the pulse?" "A little."
你会把脉吗?”“会一点。”
"Feel mine then and tell me if I have a fever."
“那就看看我有没有发烧吧。”
The Dormouse took Pinocchio's wrist between her paws and, after a few minutes, looked up at him sorrowfully and said:
睡鼠用爪子抓过皮诺乔的手腕,几分钟后,悲伤的看着他说:
"My friend, I am sorry, but I must give you some very sad news."
“我的朋友,我真抱歉,但我必须告诉你一些非常不好的消息。”
"What is it?" "You have a very bad fever."
“是什么?”“你在发高烧!”
"But what fever is it?" "The donkey fever."
“是什么样的烧?”“驴子的烧。”