"I don't know anything about that fever," answered the Marionette,
“我完全不知道那种烧。”木偶嘴里这么回答,
beginning to understand even too well what was happening to him.
其实他心里开始变得非常明白了。
"Then I will tell you all about it," said the Dormouse.
“那我来给你解释。”睡鼠说下去,
"Know then that, within two or three hours, you will no longer be a Marionette, nor a boy." "What shall I be?"
“你要知道,在两三个钟头之内,你就不再是一个木偶,也不是一个孩子。”“那是什么呢?”
"Within two or three hours you will become a real donkey, just like the ones that pull the fruit carts to market."
“在两三个钟头之内,你就要变成一头真正的驴子,跟拉水果拖车到市场去的驴子一模一样。”
"Oh, what have I done? What have I done?" cried Pinocchio,
“噢!我做了什么呀!我做了什么呀!”皮诺乔哭叫着,
grasping his two long ears in his hands and pulling and tugging at them angrily, just as if they belonged to another.
用手抓住两只长耳朵,生气地又拉又扯,好像这是别人的耳朵似的。
"My dear boy," answered the Dormouse to cheer him up a bit,
“我亲爱的孩子,”睡鼠为了安慰他一下,对他说,
"why worry now? What is done cannot be undone, you know.
“你现在担心有什么用呢?做了的事情无法收回,你是知道的。
Fate has decreed that all lazy boys who come to hate books and schools and teachers
讨厌书本、学校和老师,
and spend all their days with toys and games must sooner or later turn into donkeys."
整天玩乐的孩子,注定早晚都要变成驴子。”