She again put her short black pipe to her lips, and renewed her smoking with vigour.
她再次把那杆黑色的短烟筒放进嘴里,使劲吸了起来。
You might say all that to almost any one who you knew lived as a solitary dependent in a great house.
凡是你所知道寄居在大房子里的孤独者,你几乎都可以说这样的话。
I might say it to almost any one, but would it be true of almost any one?
是几乎对谁都可以这么说,但几乎对谁都适用吗?
In my circumstances.
适合处于我这种情况的人。
Yes, just so, in your circumstances, but find me another precisely placed as you are.
是的,一点也不错,适合你的情况。不过你倒给我找个处境跟你一模一样的人看看。
It would be easy to find you thousands.
找成千上万都不难。
You could scarcely find me one.
你几乎一个也找不到。
If you knew it, you are peculiarly situated, very near happiness. Yes, within reach of it.
要是你知道就好了,你的处境很特殊,幸福离你很近,是的,伸手可得。
The materials are all prepared. There only wants a movement to combine them.
物质条件也都具备。就只少了把它们凑在一起了。
Chance laid them somewhat apart.
命运把它们弄得四散分离。
Let them be once approached and bliss results.
一旦让它们聚合,就会带来幸福。
I don't understand enigmas. I never could guess a riddle in my life.
我不懂谜语。这辈子没有猜中一个谜。
If you wish me to speak more plainly, show me your palm.
如果你要我讲得更明白些,那你就伸出手掌来给我看看。
And I must cross it with silver, I suppose?
我猜还得在上面放上银币吧?
To be sure. I gave her a shilling.
当然。我给了她一个先令。
She put it into an old stocking-foot which she took out of her pocket,
她从口袋里掏出一只旧长袜,把钱币放进去,
and having tied it round and returned it, she told me to hold out my hand. I did.
用袜子系好,放回原处。她让我伸出手去,我照办了。