It's like your impudence to say so. I expected it of you.
说话这么无礼倒是你的脾性,我料定你会这样。
I heard it in your step as you crossed the threshold.
你跨过门槛的时候,我从你的脚步声里就听出来了。
Did you? You've a quick ear.
是吗?你的耳朵真尖。
I have, and a quick eye and a quick brain.
不错,而且眼睛亮,脑子快。
You need them all in your trade.
干你这一行倒是都需要的。
I do, especially when I've customers like you to deal with. Why don't you tremble?
我是需要的,尤其是对付像你这样的顾客的时候。你干嘛不发抖?
I'm not cold.
我并不冷。
Why don't you turn pale?
你为什么脸不发白?
I am not sick.
我没有病。
Why don't you consult my art?
你为什么不来请教我的技艺?
I'm not silly.
我不傻。
The old crone "nichered" a laugh under her bonnet and bandage.
这老太婆在帽子和带子底下爆发出了一阵笑声。
She then drew out a short black pipe, and lighting it began to smoke.
随后取出一个短短的烟筒,点上烟,开始抽了起来。
Having indulged a while in this sedative, she raised her bent body,
她在这份镇静剂里沉迷了一会儿后,便直起了弯着的腰,
took the pipe from her lips, and while gazing steadily at the fire,
从嘴里取下烟筒,一面呆呆地盯着炉火,
said very deliberately — "You are cold, you are sick, and you are silly."
一面不慌不忙地说:"你很冷;你有病;你很傻。"
"Prove it," I rejoined.
"拿出证据来,"我回答。
I will, in few words. You are cold, because you are alone. No contact strikes the fire from you that is in you.
一定,三言两语就行。你很冷,因为你孤身一人,没有交往。激发不了内心的火花。
You are sick, because the best of feelings, the highest and the sweetest given to man, keeps far away from you.
你病了,因为给予男人的最好、最高尚、最甜蜜的感情,与你无缘。
You are silly, because, suffer as you may, you will not beckon it to approach,
你很傻,因为尽管你很痛苦,你却既不会主动去召唤它靠近你,
nor will you stir one step to meet it where it waits you.
也不会跨出一步,上它等候你的地方去迎接它。