He held out his snuffbox of old gold, with a great amethyst in the centre of the lid.
他伸手拿出他的旧金鼻烟壶,壶盖的中心嵌上了一颗紫色水晶。
Its splendour was in such contrast to his homely ways and simple life that I could not help commenting upon it.
它的光彩夺目同他的朴素作风和简单生活成为鲜明的对照,于是我不得不加以评论。
"Ah," said he, "I forgot that I had not seen you for some weeks.
"呵,"他说,"我忘记有几星期没见你了。
It is a little souvenir from the King of Bohemia in return for my assistance in the case of the Irene Adler papers."
这是波希米亚国王为酬谢我在艾琳·艾德勒相片案中帮了他的忙而赠送的小小纪念品。"
"And the ring?" I asked, glancing at a remarkable brilliant which sparkled upon his finger.
"那个戒指呢?"我看了看他手指上光辉夺目的钻石戒指问道。
"It was from the reigning family of Holland,
"这是荷兰王室送给我的,
though the matter in which I served them was of such delicacy that I cannot confide it even to you,
由于我给他们破的案件非常微妙,即便是对你这么一位
who have been good enough to chronicle one or two of my little problems."
一直诚诚恳恳地把我的一两件小事迹都记述下来的朋友,我也不便透露。"
"And have you any on hand just now?" I asked with interest.
"那么,目前你手头上有什么案件吗?"我很感兴趣地问他。
"Some ten or twelve, but none which present any feature of interest.
"有那么十一、二件,但是没有一件是特别有趣的。
They are important, you understand, without being interesting.
它们是重要的,你了解,但是并不是有趣的。
Indeed, I have found that it is usually in unimportant matters that there is a field for the observation,
的确,我发现在通常不重要的事件里倒有观察
and for the quick analysis of cause and effect which gives the charm to an investigation.
和可以机敏地分析因果关系的余地,这样的调查工作就很有兴味了。
The larger crimes are apt to be the simpler, for the bigger the crime the more obvious, as a rule, is the motive.
罪行越大,往往越简单;因为罪行越大,一般地说,动机就越明显。
In these cases, save for one rather intricate matter which has been referred to me from Marseilles,
这些案件中,除了从马赛来要我办的那个案件颇为复杂以外,
there is nothing which presents any features of interest.
其它就没有一件特别有趣了。
It is possible, however, that I may have something better before very many minutes are over,
不过,也许再过一会儿,就会有更有趣的案件送上门来的,
for this is one of my clients, or I am much mistaken."
因为如果我不是大错而特错的话,现在又有位委托人来了。"
He had risen from his chair and was standing between the parted blinds, gazing down into the dull neutral-tinted London street.
他从椅子上起身,站到拉开了窗帘的窗前,往下看着那灰暗而萧条的伦敦街道。