"Sit," he said, the bench is long enough for two.
“坐下吧,”他说,这条长凳够两个人坐的。
You don't hesitate to take a place at my side, do you? Is that wrong, Jane?
你不会是为要不要坐在我旁边而犹豫不决吧?难道那错了吗,简?
I answered him by assuming it.
我坐了下来,等于是对他的回答。
To refuse would, I felt, have been unwise.
我觉得谢绝是不明智的。
Now, my little friend, while the sun drinks the dew — while all the flowers in this old garden awake and expand,
好吧,我的小朋友,当太阳吸吮着雨露—当老园子里的花统统苏醒并开放,
and the birds fetch their young ones' breakfast out of the Thornfield, and the early bees do their first spell of work —
鸟儿飞越桑菲尔德为雏鸟送来早餐,早起的蜜蜂开始了它们第一阵劳作时 —
I'll put a case to you, which you must endeavour to suppose your own.
我要把这件事诉说给你听,你务必要努力把它设想成自己的。
But first, look at me, and tell me you are at ease, and not fearing that I err in detaining you, or that you err in staying.
不过先看着我,告诉我你很平静,并不担心我把你留着是错的,或者你呆着是不对的。
No, sir. I am content.
不,先生,我很情愿。
Well then, Jane, call to aid your fancy.
那么好吧,简,发挥你的想象力吧。
Suppose you were no longer a girl well reared and disciplined, but a wild boy indulged from childhood upwards.
设想你不再是受过精心培养和教导的姑娘,而是从幼年时代起就是一个放纵任性的男孩。
Imagine yourself in a remote foreign land.
想象你身处遥远的异国。
Conceive that you there commit a capital error, no matter of what nature or from what motives,
假设你在那里铸成了大错,不管其性质如何,出于什么动机,
but one whose consequences must follow you through life and taint all your existence.
它的后果殃及你一生,玷污你的生活。
Mind, I don't say a crime.
注意,我没有说‘犯罪’。
I am not speaking of shedding of blood or any other guilty act, which might make the perpetrator amenable to the law.
不是说流血或是其他犯罪行为,那样的话肇事者会被绳之以法。
My word is error.
我用的字是‘错误’。