But the instrument — the instrument! God, who does the work, ordains the instrument.
可是途径呢 — 途径!实施者上帝指定途径。
I have myself — I tell it you without parable — been a worldly, dissipated, restless man.
我自己 — 直截了当地告诉你吧 — 曾经是个老于世故、放荡不羁、焦躁不安的汉子。
And I believe I have found the instrument for my cure in...
现在我相信自己找到了救治的途径,它在于...
He paused. The birds went on carolling. The leaves lightly rustling.
他打住了。鸟儿唱个不停。树叶飒飒有声。
I almost wondered they did not check their songs and whispers to catch the suspended revelation.
我几乎惊异于它们不刹住歌声和耳语,倾听中止的袒露。
But they would have had to wait many minutes — so long was the silence protracted.
不过它们得等上好几分钟 — 这沉默延续了好久。
At last I looked up at the tardy speaker.
我终于抬头去看这位吞吞吐吐的说话人。
He was looking eagerly at me.
他也急切地看着我。”
"Little friend," said he, in quite a changed tone, while his face changed too, losing all its softness and gravity, and becoming harsh and sarcastic.
“小朋友,”他说,完全改了口气 — 脸色也变了,失去了一切温柔和庄重,变得苛刻和嘲弄。
You have noticed my tender penchant for Miss Ingram.
你注意到了我对英格拉姆小姐的柔情吧。
Don't you think if I married her, she would regenerate me with a vengeance?
要是我娶了她,你不认为她会使我彻底新生吗?
He got up instantly, went quite to the other end of the walk, and when he came back he was humming a tune.
他猛地站了起来,几乎走到了小径的另一头,走回来时嘴里哼着小调。
"Jane, Jane," said he, stopping before me, "you are quite pale with your vigils.
“简,简,”他说着在我跟前站住了,“你守了一夜,脸色都发白了。
Don't you curse me for disturbing your rest?
你不骂我打扰了你的休息?