The Poison Tree
一棵毒树
I was angry with my friend:
我对我的朋友生气,
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
我说出来,愤怒就平息。
I was angry with my foe:
我对我的仇人气恼!
I told it not, my wrath did grow.
我并没说,愤怒却不断增长了。
And I watered it in fears
我怀着恐惧给它浇水,
Night and morning with my tears,
早早晚晚洒下我的眼泪:
And I sunned it with smiles
我用微笑当太阳使它温暖,
And with soft deceitful wiles.
捎带上我温柔而虚假的欺骗。
And it grew both day and night,
于是它白天黑夜长得不错,
Till it bore an apple bright,
直到它结成了一只漂亮的苹果
And my foe beheld it shine,
我的仇人看见它鲜艳光泽,
And he knew that it was mine,—
他也知道那属于我。
And into my garden stole
便悄悄进了我的花园里,
When the night had veiled the pole;
当夜幕将天空遮蔽;
In the morning, glad, I see
第二天清早我高兴地看到,
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.
我的仇人直挺挺地躺在树下了。