Well that orientation of the spirit is very much at the core of what I believe even TED communities have to be engaged in.
这个心灵的指向,就是我的核心信念,我们的TED社会也要参与进来。
There is no disconnect around technology and design that will allow us to be fully human
这里不应有任何东西把高新的科技和完美的设计和我们的人性间隔开来,
until we pay attention to suffering, to poverty, to exclusion, to unfairness, to injustice.
只要我们还能注意到痛苦,注意到贫穷、制约、不公和冤屈。
Now I will warn you that this kind of identity is a much more challenging identity than ones that don't pay attention to this. It will get to you.
我想提醒大家,比起那些漠不关心的定位来说,这样的定位是很有挑战性的。它会影响你。
I had the great privilege, when I was a young lawyer, of meeting Rosa Parks.
当我还是个年轻律师的时候,我有幸见到了帕克斯夫人。
And Ms. Parks used to come back to Montgomery every now and then,
帕克斯夫人曾时不时会到蒙哥马利,
and she would get together with two of her dearest friends, these older women,
每次她都会和两个好友会面,两位上了年纪的女性,
Johnnie Carr who was the organizer of the Montgomery bus boycott -- amazing African-American woman
姜妮·卡尔,她是蒙哥马利公车抵制运动的组织者--非常出色的黑人女性,
and Virginia Durr, a white woman, whose husband, Clifford Durr, represented Dr. King.
还有弗吉尼亚·杜尔,一位白人女性,她丈夫克利福德·杜尔是马丁·路德·金的律师。
And these women would get together and just talk.
这些女士们经常聚在一起讨论问题。
And every now and then Ms. Carr would call me, and she'd say,
有时卡尔夫人会给我打电话,问我:
"Bryan, Ms. Parks is coming to town. We're going to get together and talk. Do you want to come over and listen?"
“布莱恩,帕克斯夫人回来了,我们要聚聚。你愿不愿意来听我们谈话?”
And I'd say, "Yes, Ma'am, I do." And she'd say, "Well what are you going to do when you get here?" I said, "I'm going to listen."
我会说:“当然,夫人,我愿意。”她会问:“你来这里具体干什么呀?”我会说:“我就想听听。”
And I'd go over there and I would, I would just listen. It would be so energizing and so empowering.
然后我会过去,只是倾听。这些聚会总是非常激动和鼓舞人心的。
And one time I was over there listening to these women talk, and after a couple of hours Ms. Parks turned to me and she said,
有一次我在那里听她们谈话,几小时后帕克斯夫人问我,她问:
"Now Bryan, tell me what the Equal Justice Initiative is. Tell me what you're trying to do."
“布莱恩,和我讲讲你的平等司法倡议。和我讲讲你打算做什么。”
And I began giving her my rap.
我就开始大讲特讲。
I said, "Well we're trying to challenge injustice.
我说:“我们想向不公正的待遇提出挑战。
We're trying to help people who have been wrongly convicted.
我们想帮那些被误判了刑的人。
We're trying to confront bias and discrimination in the administration of criminal justice.
我们想和在刑法制度里的偏见和歧视做对抗。
We're trying to end life without parole sentences for children.
给孩子被判终身无法假释的制度给终结掉。
We're trying to do something about the death penalty.
我们想为死刑制度做些改变。
We're trying to reduce the prison population. We're trying to end mass incarceration."
我们想减少监狱人口。我们还想杜绝过度泛滥的监禁。”