And I ask her out. And she says no.
我约她出去,她拒绝了
And what happens once again? Slightly down.
再一次,发生了什么变化?轻微地下降
But then I recover and go back up again.
但然后我恢复了,又再次上升
And you won't believe it. They are identical triplets.
你们是不会相信的,她们是三胞胎
And I meet the 3rd sister and she says yes.
我碰到了老三,她答应了
She says I love you too.
她说我也爱你
And what happens to my to my self-esteem and happiness? It goes up slightly right? Even taller than this.
我的自尊和快乐水平发生了什么变化?它轻微地上升,对吧?甚至高出了黑板
But then very quickly back down to base level and so on and so on.
但然后很快又下降回基础水平。如此反复,
The vicissitudes of life... whether I get tenured or not tenured, whether I win the lottery or lose money.
生活中的悲欢离合……不管我是得到了终身职位还是没得到,不管我买彩票是中奖了还是输钱了
The ups and downs around a base level of well-being.
在幸福的一个基础水平上下起起伏伏
Now there is good news here and there is bad news here.
现在有个好消息也有个坏消息
The good news is I can take more risks.
好消息是我能承担更大的风险
It's not the end of world if she says no.
她拒绝我不是世界末日
It's not the end of the world if I fail here or if I don't get my dream job.
我失败了或者没能得到理想的工作,也不是世界末日
It's okay. I'll recover. We all do. So that's the good news.
没有关系,我会恢复,我们都会,所以这是好消息
The bad news is... so I'm stuck?
坏消息是……我就卡在这了?
So I was born with this base level according to my genes and I can't really improve?
我根据我的基因生来就是这个基础水平并且不能提高吗?
How do I raise this base level of happiness?
我如何提高这个快乐的基础水平?
And it's possible. And we'll talk about... the whole course is about raising the base level of happiness.
这是可能的,我们会讲到……整个课程就是关于如何提高快乐的基础水平