It was late before Sherlock Holmes returned.
夏洛克·福尔摩斯回来得很晚。
He came back alone, for Lestrade was staying in lodgings in the town.
因为雷斯垂德在城里住下了,他是一个人回来的。
"The glass still keeps very high," he remarked as he sat down.
他坐下来的时候说,"晴雨表的水银柱仍然很高,
"It is of importance that it should not rain before we are able to go over the ground.
希望在我们检查现场之前千万不要下雨,这事关重大。
On the other hand, a man should be at his very best and keenest for such nice work as that,
另一方面,我们去做这种细致的工作必须精神十分饱满、十分敏锐才行。
and I did not wish to do it when fagged by a long journey. I have seen young McCarthy."
我们不希望由于长途跋涉而疲劳不堪的时候去做这个工作。我见到了小麦卡锡。"
"And what did you learn from him?" "Nothing." "Could he throw no light?"
"你从他那里了解到什么情况?""没有了解到什么情况。""他不能提供点线索吗?"
"None at all. I was inclined to think at one time that he knew who had done it and was screening him or her,
"他一点线索也提供不了。我一度有过这样的想法:他知道那是谁干的,而他是在为他或她掩盖。
but I am convinced now that he is as puzzled as everyone else.
但是,我现在确信,他和别人一样对这件事迷惑不解。
He is not a very quick-witted youth, though comely to look at and, I should think, sound at heart."
他不是一个很机敏的青年,虽然相貌很漂亮,我倒觉得他心地还是忠实可靠的。"
"I cannot admire his taste," I remarked,
我说:"那我认为他真太没有眼力了。
"if it is indeed a fact that he was averse to a marriage with so charming a young lady as this Miss Turner."
如果他真的不愿意和象特纳小姐这样十分有魅力的年轻姑娘结婚的话。"