"Oh, I see," said the Tin Woodman.
“啊,原来是这样,”铁皮人说,
"But after all, brains are not the best things in the world."
“但是脑子并不是世上最好的东西。”
"Have you any?" inquired the Scarecrow.
“你有脑子吗?”稻草人问。
"No, my head is quite empty." answered the Woodman.
“不,我也没有,”铁皮人回答道。
"But once I have brains, and a heart also; so having tried them both, I should much rather have a heart."
“但是我从前是有脑子的,还有一颗心,经过比较后,我宁愿有一颗心。”
"And why is that?" asked the Scarecrow.
稻草人问:“为什么呢?”
"I will tell you my story, and then you will know."
“你若是知道我的故事,你就会明白的。”
So while they were walking through the forest, the Tin Woodman told the following story:
当他们穿过这树林时,铁皮人就告诉他自己的故事,
"I was born the son of a woodman who chopped down trees in the forest and sold the wood for a living.
“我是出生在樵夫家。父亲在树林里砍伐树木,卖柴薪过活。
When I grew up, I too became a woodchopper, and after my father died I took care of my old mother as long as she lived.
我长大后,也做了一个樵夫。在父亲去世以后,我一直照顾着我的老母亲直到她也离我而去。
Then I made up my mind that instead of living alone I would marry, so that I might not become lonely.
后来我决定结婚结束单身汉的生活,这样我就不会寂寞了。
There was one of the Munchkin girls who was so beautiful that I soon grew to love her with all my heart.
有一个美丽动人芒奇金的女孩,我全心爱着她。
She, on her part, promised to marry me as soon as I could earn enough money to build a better house for her, so I set to work harder that ever.
她答应等我为她造一所好一些的屋子以后,就嫁给我;因而我更加辛苦地工作了。
But the girl lived with an old woman who did not want her to marry anyone,
但是这个女子和一个老妇人同住,老妇人不希望把女儿嫁给任何人,
for she was so lazy she wished the girl to remain with her and do the cooking and housework.
因为她很懒惰,她想留下女儿继续为自己煮饭做家务。
So the old woman went to the Wicked Witch of the East,
所以这个老妇人请求东方坏女巫帮助,
and promised her two sheep and a cow if she would prevent the marriage.
阻止这场婚姻并答应酬谢她两只羊和一头牛。
Thereupon the Wicked Witch enchanted my axe,
于是女巫在我的斧头上,施了妖术。