This is Justin Schmidt.Yeah, my name is Justin Schmidt.
这位是贾斯汀·斯密特。是的,我是贾斯汀·斯密特。
He's an entomologist. And I'm an entomologist.
他是一名昆虫学家。我是一名昆虫学家。
I basically study stinging insects.
我主要研究带刺昆虫。
He's been stung by a lot of insects.
他被很多昆虫叮咬过。
I've probably been stung at least 1,000 times.
我应该被咬过上千次了。
He reviews insect stings the way a sommelier reviews wine.
他回忆被昆虫叮咬的感觉就像调酒师评论葡萄酒的感觉一样。
Pure, intense, brilliant pain, like walking over flaming charcoal with a three inch nail embedded in your heel.
纯粹、激烈、明显的疼痛,就像脚后跟钉着7厘米长的钉子还赤脚走在燃烧的木炭上一样。
Which insect was that? That's a bullet ant.
那是哪种昆虫?子弹蚁。
This is his lab in Tucson.
这是他位于图森的实验室。
This is his harvester ant.This is his vinegaroon. This is his tarantula hawk.
这是他的收获蚁。这是鞭蝎。这是沙漠蛛蜂。
These are some more harvester ants in a park, near his lab.
这些是他实验室附近公园里的收获蚁。
He is the creator of the Schmidt Pain Scale.
斯密特疼痛量表就是他制定的。
The Schmidt Pain Scale is basically a scale to rate the painfulness of stinging insects on a scale of one to four.
大体来说,斯密特疼痛量表就是一个用于评估带刺昆虫叮咬疼痛程度的标准,有1到4这么4个等级。
A one would be a sweat bee.
一级是隧蜂。
Two would be something like a yellow jacket wasp.
二级疼痛差不多相当于黄脚胡蜂叮咬的疼痛感。
A three would be something like a harvester ant.
三级相当于收获蚁的疼痛指数。
And a four would be a tarantula hawk.
四级则是沙漠蛛蜂叮咬后的感觉。
How bad is a four?
四级疼痛有多痛?
Four is absolutely, excruciatingly debilitating, incapacitating,
四级疼痛绝对是让人难以忍受的那种使人衰弱并且让人失去功能,
just shuts you down, just absolute, sheer pain, there's just nothing you can really do about that.
让人机能崩溃的疼痛,那种彻底的纯粹的疼痛感,让你完全没有办法缓解的疼痛。
I don't think I'd wanna be stung by a whole bunch of different fours.
我可不想被一群各个等级的昆虫叮咬。
I don't think I could endure that for very long.
那样我怕是坚持不了多久。
Let's be clear, Justin Schmidt doesn't just go out and get stung on purpose.
直说吧,贾斯汀·斯密特并不是要故意让自己被蜇伤的。
It's just that he's dedicated his life to studying, well.
他只是把自己的一生奉献给了研究……嗯……
My passion is insects, and stinging insects in particular.
我的研究兴趣都在昆虫,特别是带刺昆虫上面。
Yeah, I get stung. But that's, that's all just part of the passion you know, that gives me data.
是的,我是被蜇过,但这只是我研究兴趣的一部分,因为这样我才能取到数据。
You know, a sting helps me in understanding what the insect's doing
你知道,刺痛有助于我理解昆虫在做什么
and I get to be out in the sunshine, and out in the rain, out in the environment studying these magnificent, beautiful insects.
我会到太阳下,到雨里,到大自然中去研究这些了不起的、美丽的昆虫。
It's just, just such a joy.
那种愉悦感是无法言语的。
I can't imagine anything I'd rather do more.
我想象不到还有什么事情能够调动我更大的热情。