Scattered across the New Mexico desert are buildings that look like something from another world.
从外表上看,散落在新墨西哥沙漠中的这座建筑群仿佛来自某个异域世界。
They are homes designed to be completely self-sustained, generating their own electricity, water, gas, and food.
设计师旨在将其打造成完全自给自足的家园,自己发电,自己供水供气以及食物。
They are the life's work of an unconventional architect, Mike Reynolds, who believes homes are the key to a better future.
这一设计是特立独行的建筑师Mike Reynolds的呕心沥血之作,他认为家是创建美好未来的关键。
We came up with the name Earthship because houses have to have gas lines coming in,
我们想了个“地球飞船”这么个名字,因为房屋得把天然气管道接进来,
sewage lines going out, electric lines coming in, and so these buildings provide all of that themselves.
同时把污水管道引出去,还要把电线接进来,而这些生活资源这些建筑都能够自己提供。
These buildings address comfortable shelter, electricity, water, sewage treatment, garbage, and food.
它们不仅能够提供舒适的住所,电力,水和食物,还能进行污水处理和垃圾处理。
Michael Reynolds started all this after the oil crises in the ‘70s.
在70年代石油危机之后,迈克尔·雷诺兹就开始创建这一项目。
Once the prices went up, that meant everything we had to buy just went up.
物价一涨,我们要买的每件东西的价格都会上涨。
So this house is basically trying to make us less dependent on all these things.
这套房子基本上就是为了减少我们对于所有当前我们需要购买的东西的依赖性。
I came to Taos right after architectural school in 1969.
我是1969年从建筑学院毕业之后来陶斯的。
This climate is super severe. It's real hot in the summer and it's real cold in the winters.
这里的气候极为严酷。夏天热得要命,冬天冷得要命。
So it's a perfect place to test, pilot these buildings
因此这里也是试验或者开创这些建筑的理想之地,
so that you see if they can stay warm in severe conditions and cool in severe conditions.
因为我们能够了解我们的建筑是否真的能够保证冬暖夏凉。
There are mountains of automobile tires everywhere all over the world.
世界各地都有大堆大堆的废弃轮胎。
Well, why don't we make a use for tires?
那我们干嘛不把这些轮胎利用起来?
The tires give out the foundation of the house and also the structural walls.
我们这个房子的地基和墙体都是用轮胎砌成的。
The tire will not rot, termites don't eat them, they are resilient for earthquakes.
轮胎不会腐烂,白蚁也不吃轮胎,还能够抵御地震。
And at the same time because they're packed with earth inside, it's going to accumulate the heat.
同时,内部填满土后轮胎还能够积聚热量。
It's like a heat battery. It sucks up heat and then it gives it back to you when the temperature of the room drops.
就像一个热能电池一样,能够吸收热量,等到房间温度下降时再重新输送给你。
You do feel really nurtured inside some of these houses
在这种房屋里真的会让人觉得很舒服
because inside the living space, the temperature is the same all year round.
因为客厅里的温度一年四季都是恒定的。
Then we have plastic and glass bottles.
除了轮胎,我们还用到了塑料瓶和玻璃瓶。
We cut them in half and we put the two bottom ends together.
把瓶子对半切开,然后将两个瓶底接在一起。
It means that we'll be using much less cement because we're using this other material which compensates.
这样一来用到的水泥就大大减少了,因为我们用了这种替换材料。
At the same time, it's going to let light come in to the house.
瓶子还能往房屋里导入更多光线。
You can do combinations of colors, you can do mosaics.
你可以对瓶子的颜色进行混搭,可以做成马赛克。
Reynolds and his team have been sharing their designs around the world, developing Earthships in places of need.
雷诺兹也带着他的团队到世界各地分享了他们的设计,并在必要时开发了新的地球飞船项目。
I lay in bed sometimes awake at night, can't wait to get up the next morning and keep doing this.
有时晚上我都睡不着觉,因为迫不及待地想第二天早早起床继续我的这个项目。
We're building, we're drawing, we're traveling, doing education.
我们不仅会修房子,还会绘画,会旅行,会做培训。
I plan to keep going until I drop
我打算一直干到我放弃为止,
but I'm already seeing, that it doesn't matter when I drop, there's people that are just gonna keep doing this.
但现在我已经发现,我什么时候放弃已经不重要了,因为会一直有人把这个项目发扬光大。