Here we are in the Hoh Valley Rainforest.
在这里,我们在霍河雨林。
This is a cathedral, my cathedral.
这是一座大教堂,我的大教堂。
In this forest is the quietest place in the entire United States, and it's only one square inch in size.
全美国最安静的地方就在这片森林里,其面积仅1平方英寸(约5.6平方厘米)。
My mission is to keep it that way.
我的任务就是让这块地方能够继续保持安静。
I'm Gordon Hempton. I'm a sound tracker.
我是戈登·亨普顿,我是一名声音收集者。
I travel the globe in search of vanishing sounds, including the most endangered of all, which is simply silence.
我走遍了世界的各个角落,搜寻正在消失的声音,尤其是寂静,因为它是所有正在消失的声音中面临的消失威胁最大。
Noise pollution is nearly inescapable.
如今,噪音污染几乎已经成了无可避免的污染问题。
The Hoh Valley is the quietest, least noise-polluted place in the entire lower 48.
霍河谷是美国本土的48个州中最安静,噪音最小的地方。
I don't know if I can save silence, but I know that I can try.
我不知道我是否能够拯救寂静,但我知道我可以试一试。
So it was 12 years ago, 2005 Earth Day, that I hiked up the Hoh River Valley.
那是12年前,也就是2005年地球日那天,我徒步来到了霍河谷。
It took three miles just to escape the noise of the parking lot.
仅仅为了躲开停车场的噪音,我就走了3英里(约5公里)。
That's when I was looking in every direction for which way I should go.
也就是那个时候,我开始四处观察,看我应该走那条路。
I saw the elk trail, love to follow their advice because they love quiet just like I do;
我看到了麋鹿的脚印,我非常乐于听从他们的建议,因为他们和我一样喜欢安静;
and they led me right to the spot.
然后他们就把我带到了这里。
It's just through that tree, then off into the woods.
只需要走过那棵树,进入树林就能到达这里。
I defend this one square inch of silence by doing both quiet and noise monitoring.
我会对这一平方英寸的地方进行有声和无声监控,从而保护这一平方英寸的寂静。
When a noise intrusion occurs, I locate the noise maker, send them a letter, and ask for compliance.
有干扰噪音时,我就会去定位噪音声源的位置,然后给他们写信,要求他们守规矩。
This matter is urgent.
保护安静这件事十万火急。
Within ten years, it's likely that there will be no quiet places left unless we take action.
不用十年,寂静就可能从这个世界上消失,如果我们不采取行动的话。
When I first started, I did not think silence would go extinct in my life-time;
起初我以为寂静至少不会在我有生之年消失;
and if that happens, the quiet will disappear and the wildlife will be devastated.
如果那一天真的来了,寂静消失了,野生动物就会遭到灭顶之灾。
The One Square Inch of Silence foundation is pressing our politicians to pass a single piece of legislation
“一平方英里的寂静”基金会正敦促我们的政治家们通过一项法案,
that will designate Olympic National Park as the world's first quiet park, off-limits to aircraft.
将奥林匹克国家公园定为世界上第一个寂静公园,禁止飞机穿越。
All things are possible.
一切皆有可能。
The Earth is here and it's beautiful; and, for me, it all starts here in the Hoh Valley.
这里是地球,地球是美丽的;然而,对我来说,这一切都始于霍河谷。