Hi, I'm Craig.
嗨,我是克雷格。
I'm not John Green, but I do have patches on my elbows, so I seem smart.
我不是约翰·格林,但是我的手肘上有补丁,所以我看起来很聪明。
And this is Crash Course Government and Politics, a new show, hurray!
这是《政府和政治速成课》,一个新节目,万岁!
Why are fireworks legal or illegal?
为什么燃放烟花爆竹合法或非法?
We might find out.
我们可能会找到答案。
Will we find out Stan?
我们能找到答案吗?斯坦?
Anyway, I have a question for you.
不管怎样,我有个问题要问你。
Have you ever wondered where your tax dollars go or why people complain about it so much?
你有没有想过你的税钱去哪里了,或者人们为什么对税收有这么多抱怨?
Or who pays for the highway that runs past your house?
谁来为经过你家的公路买单?
Or why you use the textbooks you use in science class?
或者你为什么要使用科学课上使用的教科书?
Or why you need a license to drive, or to hunt or to fish or to become a barber?
或者你为什么需要一个驾驶执照、打猎、钓鱼或理发的执照?
I've always wanted to cut my own hair, back when I had it.
我一直想剪自己的头发,当我有头发的时候。
Have you ever wondered why you have to be 21 years old to drink alcohol but only 18 to vote?
你有没有想过,为什么只有21岁的人才能喝酒,而只有18岁的人才能投票?
Or gamble.
或赌博。
Sometimes voting is a gamble, actually always.
有时候投票是一场赌博,实际上总是如此。
Do you get confused when you hear people talk about news about Wall Street regulations, or Obama care, or the national debt?
当你听到人们谈论有关华尔街监管、奥巴马医改或国债的新闻时,你会感到困惑吗?
Do you wonder why there are so few cell phone carriers and cable companies?
你想知道为什么手机运营商和有线电视公司这么少吗?
How about why it's ok for student groups to lead prayers in schools but not for the principal to do so?
为什么学生团体可以在学校里主持祈祷,而校长却不能呢?
Have you ever wondered if there are any limits on
你可曾想过,警方搜查有限制吗?
when, where, and how the police can search your home, or your car, or your locker, or you, or your friend, or your grandma, or your grandma's friend?
在何时、何地以及如何搜查你的家、你的车、你的储物柜、你、你的朋友、你的奶奶,抑或你奶奶的朋友?
And do you know why you can stand outside a government office with a sign and a bullhorn
你知道为什么你可以站在政府办公室外面,拿着一个牌子和扩音器,
complaining about military action that you think is unfair and the police can't stop you,
抱怨你认为不公平的军事行动,警察不能阻止你,
but you can be fired from your job for doing the exact same thing?
但是你也可以因为做同样的事情而被解雇吗?
Have you ever been sued? Or fined?
你被起诉过吗?或罚款吗?
Ever wonder what the difference is between being sued and being fined?
想知道被起诉和被罚款有什么区别吗?
Have you ever wondered why the government does the things it does and why it doesn't do other things?
你有没有想过为什么政府要做这些事情,为什么不做其他的事情?
Have you ever wondered what it would be like if we had no government at all?
你有没有想过如果我们根本没有政府会是什么样子?
That would be anarchy.
这将是无政府状态。
Can we play the Sex Pistols, Stan?
我们能播放“性手枪”乐队的歌曲吗,斯坦?
That's probably illegal.
这可能是非法的。
Why is it illegal?
为什么它是非法的?
And probably the most important, have you ever thought about how you can change the things that seem unjust or unfair or that you just don't like?
也许最重要的是,你有没有想过如何改变那些看起来不公平或者你不喜欢的事情?
Ok so that was more than one question, and obviously there isn't a single answer to all of those questions, except in a way, there is.
这不止一个问题,显然所有这些问题都没有一个单一的答案,除了在某种意义上,这就是。
The study of government and politics.
政府与政治研究。
And that's what we're going to talk about today, and this whole series: Crash Course Government and Politics. Aptly titled.
这就是我们今天要讲的,以及接下来的整个系列:政府和政治速成班。真是恰当的主题。
So let's start by doing what human beings do when confronted with complicated questions they can't answer.
让我们从人类在面对回答不了的复杂问题时所做的事情开始。
We'll answer a simpler one.
我们先回答一个简单的问题。
In this case, what are government and politics and why do I need to learn about them.
在这种情况下,什么是政府和政治,为什么我需要了解这些。
Government is a set of rules and institutions people set up so they can function together as a unified society.
政府是人们建立的一套规则和制度,使他们能够作为一个统一的社会共同运作。
Sometimes we call this a state, or a nation, or a country, or Guam.
有时我们称它为国、国家、民族或关岛。
And I'll use these terms somewhat interchangeably.
这些术语可以互换使用。
Except for Guam, that might be a little confusing.
除了关岛,这可能有点令人困惑。
So, we study government in order to become better citizens.
所以,我们学习政府是为了成为更好的公民。
Studying government enables us to participate in an informed way.
研究政府使我们能够以知情的方式参与。
Anyone can participate, but doing so intelligently that takes a little effort,
任何人都可以参与进来,但这么做需要一点努力,
and that's why we need to learn about how our government works.
这就是为什么我们需要了解我们的政府是如何运作的。
Politics is a little different.
政治有点不同。
Politics is a term we used to describe how power is distributed in a government.
政治是我们用来描述政府权力分配的术语。
And in the U.S it basically describes the decisions about who holds office and how individuals and groups make those decisions.
在美国,它基本指的是关于谁担任公职以及个人和团体如何作出这些决定的决定。
Following politics is a lot like following sports in that there is a winner and a loser
政治很像体育运动,有赢家和输家,
and people spend a lot of time predicting who will win and analyzing why the winner won and the loser lost.
人们花很多时间预测谁会赢,并分析为什么赢家会赢,输家会输。
The outcome of an election might affect your life more than the outcome of a sports game though.
选举的结果可能比体育比赛的结果更能影响你的生活。
Unless you're gambling, which might be illegal.
除非你在赌博,这可能是非法的。
Government is really important.
政府是非常重要的。
Everyone born in America is automatically a citizen,
每个在美国出生的人都是公民,
and many people choose to become citizens every year so that they can have a say in the government.
许多人每年都选择成为公民,以便在政府中有发言权。
The USA is a republic, which means that we elect representatives to govern us, and a democracy,
美国是一个共和国,这意味着我们选举代表来管理我们,
which means that citizens are allowed to participate.
而民主则意味着公民可以参与。
This ability to participate is something we take for granted, but we shouldn't.
这种参与的能力是我们认为理所当然的,但我们不应该这样做。
History tells us that that citizen participation is the exception rather than the rule.
历史告诉我们,公民参与是例外,而不是规则。
But we're not going to look at history.
但我们不会看历史。
Who has time?
谁有时间?
That's what history courses are for with that other guy.
这就是历史课的目的。
So one way people can participate in government is through voting.
们参与政府的一种方式是通过投票。
And many people will tell you that that's pretty much the only way we can participate in government and politics, but THEY'RE WRONG.
很多人会告诉你,这几乎是我们参与政府和政治的唯一途径,但他们错了。
And I love pointing out when people are wrong.
我喜欢指出人们的错误。
Let's go to the Thought Bubble.
让我们进入思想泡泡。
Sure, when you mark a ballot, you are participating in the political process,
当然,当你在投票时,你正在参与政治进程,
but there are so many other things you can do to be an active citizen.
但有许多其他的事情你可以做成为一个积极的公民。
You can contact your representatives and tell them what you think about a political issue.
你可以联系你的代表,告诉他们你对政治问题的看法。
People used to do this by writing letters or sending telegrams, but now they tend to call or send email,
人们过去是通过写信或发电报来这样做的,但现在他们倾向于打电话或发电子邮件,
although there's nothing like a good old-fashioned angry letter.
尽管没有什么能比得上老式的用来表达愤怒的信。
People can work for campaigns or raise money or give money.
人们可以为竞选活动或筹款或捐钱。
They can display yard signs or bumper stickers.
他们可以展示庭院标志或保险杠贴纸。
They can canvass likely voters, try to convince them to vote or even drive them to the polls on election day.
他们可以游说潜在的选民,试图说服他们投票,甚至在选举日开车送他们去投票。
You participate in politics when you answer a public opinion poll.
当你参与民意调查时,你就参与了政治。
Or when you write a letter to the editor or comment on an online article.
或者当你给编辑写一封信或者评论一篇在线文章的时候。
You participate in politics when you blog, or tumbl, or make a YouTube video, or tweet.
你玩博客、tumbl、YouTube视频或推特就可参与政治。
I guess even YouTube comment counts.
我想YouTube上的评论也很重要。
First! Ever been to a march or a rally or held a sign or worn a t-shirt with a slogan on it,
首先!曾经参加过游行、集会、举过标语、穿过印有标语的t恤,
or discussed an upcoming election at the dinner table and tried to convince your parents who to vote for?
或者在餐桌上讨论即将到来的选举,并试图说服你的父母投谁的票吗?
You've participated in the political process.
你已经参与了政治进程。
And if you've actually run for office you've participated, even if you didn't win,
如果你真的参加了竞选,即使你没赢,也是参与了政治,
and if you did win, congratulations, now get back to work.
如果你赢了,恭喜你,现在回去工作吧。
You should already know this.
你应该已经知道了。
But probably the most important thing you can do to participate in government and politics is both the easiest and the most challenging.
但也许参与政府和政治最重要的事情是最容易也最具挑战性的。
Become more educated!
变得更有素质!
Anyone can be a citizen, but to be a good citizen requires an understanding of how government works, and how we can participate.
任何人都可以成为公民,但要成为一名好公民,需要了解政府如何运作,以及我们如何参与。
It requires knowledge and effort and we have to do it because otherwise we end up being led rather than being leaders.
这需要知识和努力,我们必须这样做,否则我们会被领导而不是成为领导。
We learn about politics because knowledge is our best defense against unscrupulous people
我们学习政治,因为知识是我们对那些肆无忌惮的人的最好的防御,
who will use our ignorance to get us to do things that they want rather than what we think should be done.
他们会利用我们的无知让我们去做他们想做的事情,而不是我们认为应该做的事情。
Thanks, Thought Bubble.
谢谢,思想泡泡。
That was my first Thought Bubble narration! Hurray!
这是我的第一个思想泡泡叙事!欢呼!
You guys are fun. This is fun.
你们都很有趣。这很有趣。
So that's where we comes in.
这就是我们要讲的。
Over the course of this series we will be looking in depth at American government and politics.
在本系列课程中,我们将深入了解美国政府和政治。
We'll be talking about stuff like the structure and function of the branches of government,
我们将讨论政府部门的结构和职能,
the division of power between the national government and the state governments,
国家政府和州政府之间的权力分配,
what political parties are, what they do, and how they are different from interest groups.
政党是什么,他们做什么,他们和利益集团有什么不同。
We'll examine the role the media plays in government and politics,
我们将研究媒体在政府和政治中所扮演的角色,
how the legal system and the courts work and how they protect civil rights and civil liberties.
法律制度和法院如何运作以及如何保护公民权利和公民自由。
We'll look at political ideologies: what it means when you say you are a liberal or a conservative or a libertarian or a socialist or an anarchist.
我们来看看政治意识形态:当你说你是自由主义者、保守派、自由主义者、社会主义者或无政府主义者时,这意味着什么。
Okay we probably won't talk about anarchy because that's sort of the rejection of government.
好吧,我们可能不会讨论无政府状态因为那是对政府的拒绝。
Again, Sex Pistols, Stan?
再说一次,“性手枪”乐队,斯坦?
Can't, copyright issue.
不能,版权问题。
I'll take care of it.
我会处理的。
Anarchy, Wooo! I've been known to do that from time to time.
呜!无序状态,我经常这样做。
We'll try to understand the forces that are shaping American government and politics today.
我们将试图理解今天塑造美国政府和政治的力量。
And we'll work towards becoming more involved and developing our knowledge so that we make our government more responsive and our politics more inclusive.
我们将致力于更多地参与和发展我们的知识,使我们的政府更有反应能力,使我们的政治更具有包容性。
By the end of this series, and actually before the end,
在这个系列的最后,实际是结束之前,
you will understand how our government works and how you can make it work better for you and your community.
你们将了解我们的政府是如何运作的,以及如何让政府更好地为你们和你们的社区服务。
Not only will you be able to answer most of the questions I started this episode with,
你不仅能回答我开始这一集的大部分问题,
but you will become, if you pay attention and think for yourself, a more engaged and active citizen.
而且,如果你用心思考,你会成为一个更积极、更活跃的公民。
And you might have a beard, if you don't shave.
如果你不刮胡子,你可能会有胡子。
Next week we'll talk about Congress, how it works, and what it does, when it does anything.
下周我们将讨论国会,它是如何运作的,是什么,何时做。
Thanks for watching, I'll see you next week.
谢谢收看,下周见。
And that's my first Crash Course episode!
这是我的第一节速成课!
Are we out of poppers Stan?
我们的炮手用完了吗?
I'll just throw. Em, wooohoo! Bang! Wooo! Bang!
我要扔,砰!呜!砰!
Crash Course Government and Politics is produced in association with PBS Digital Studios.
《政府与政治速成课》是与PBS数字工作室联合制作的。
Support for Crash Course U.S. Government comes from Voqal.
对《美国政府速成班》的支持来自Voqal。
Voqal supports non-profits that use technology and media to advance social equity.
Voqal支持利用技术和媒体促进社会公平的非营利组织。
Learn more about their mission and initiatives at Voqal.org.
在Voqal.org了解更多关于他们的使命和倡议。
Crash Course was made by all of these nice people.
《速成班》是由所有这些善良的人做的。
Thanks for watching.
感谢收看。
Can we call Craig Course, Stan? No? Crash Course Craig? Can't.
我们可以改名为《克雷格课》吗,斯坦?不能?《克雷格速成课》?不能。