So the first meaning of appreciate is to say thank you. That's a nice thing to do,
“Appreciate”的第一个意思就是感激。这是一种好行为
but it's much more than just a nice thing to do. We talked about this before.
但它不只是一种好行为。我们以前谈过这点
The second meaning of appreciate is increasing value: the economy appreciates; money in the bank appreciates.
“Appreciate”第二个意思是增值:经济增值,银行里的钱增值
And that's an important meaning, because when we appreciate the good,
这个意思很重要,因为当我们感激好事时,好事增值
the good appreciates. When we appreciate the good in our lives, when we appreciate the good in other people, when you appreciate the good in our country,
当我们感激生活中的好事时,当我们感激其他人的善良时,当你感激这个国家的伟大之处时
we get more of it. Unfortunately, the opposite is also the case.
好事就会增多。可惜反之亦然
When we don't appreciate something, whether it's ourselves, whether it's our country, whether it's our relationship, the good depreciates.
当我们不懂欣赏时,不管是我们自己,我们国家,还是我们的恋情,好事就会贬值
Remember I talked about it in the past. Is it any wonder so many relationships flounder, fail after the honeymoon phase?
这点我以前就讲过了。有没想过为什么很多恋情不顺利,蜜月期过后就撑不下去
If the main question becomes "what's wrong?" or "How can we improve the relationship?"
人们都会问"出什么问题了?"或者"我们怎么能改善这段关系?"
And if we just ask this question, our focus becomes on what is not working, on the weaknesses.
如果我们单纯问这些问题,我们就会专注于问题和弱点上
And we ignore the virtues, the strength, the things that worked and are working.
我们就会无视优点,顺利的地方
And when we don't focus on these things, they depreciate.
当我们不专注于优点上,优点就会贬值
As far as we are concerned, they don't exist,
在我们眼里甚至看不到这些优点的存在
just like the children on the bus that not exist for you as far as you were concerned.
就像在你眼里,公车上那个小孩是不存在的一样
What appreciating does is in essence create a growth spiral.
本质上,感激能形成一个良性循环
Let me expand. Let me just give you a random example.
我来解释一下,我来随便举一个例子
Let's say, Monday morning, or Tuesday morning, you are walking toward 1504. And suddenly you see a friend of yours.
例如,星期一早上,或星期二早上,你正走向1504室。突然你看到你的一个朋友
A friend of yours you know who's genuine, is real- someone you trust.
你知道这个朋友是个很真诚的人,你信任的一个人