"I tell you that it is Friday, man.
"我告诉你,今天是星期五,没错。
Your wife has been waiting this two days for you. You should be ashamed of yourself!"
你的老婆一直等你两天了。你应当感到羞耻!"
"So I am. But you've got mixed, Watson, for I have only been here a few hours, three pipes, four pipes -- I forget how many.
"对!我应当感到羞耻,不过你弄错了,华生,因为我在这里只不过呆了几个小时,抽了三锅,四锅...我记不得抽了多少锅了。
But I'll go home with you. I wouldn't frighten Kate -- poor little Kate. Give me your hand! Have you a cab?"
不过我要跟你回去。我不该让凯特担心害怕,可怜的小凯特呀!扶我一下!你雇马车来了吗?"
"Yes, I have one waiting."
"是的,我雇了一辆,等着呢。"
"Then I shall go in it. But I must owe something.
"那么,我就坐车走吧。不过,我一定欠了帐。
Find what I owe, Watson. I am all off colour. I can do nothing for myself."
看看我欠了多少,华生。我一点精神也没有了。我一点也照顾不了自己。"
I walked down the narrow passage between the double row of sleepers,
我走过两排躺着人的木榻间的狭窄过道,
holding my breath to keep out the vile, stupefying fumes of the drug, and looking about for the manager.
屏息敛气,免得去闻那鸦片令人作呕和发晕的臭气,到处寻找掌柜的。
As I passed the tall man who sat by the brazier I felt a sudden pluck at my skirt,
我走过炭火盆旁的那个高个子时,觉得有一只手突然猛拉了一下我上衣的下摆,
and a low voice whispered, "Walk past me, and then look back at me."
有人低声说:"走过去,再回头看我!"
The words fell quite distinctly upon my ear. I glanced down.
这两句话清清楚楚地落入我的耳鼓。我低头看了一下。
They could only have come from the old man at my side,
这话只能是出自我身边的老头之口,
and yet he sat now as absorbed as ever, very thin, very wrinkled, bent with age,
可是,此时他还是和刚才一样,全神贯注地坐在那里。
an opium pipe dangling down from between his knees, as though it had dropped in sheer lassitude from his fingers.
他瘦骨嶙峋,皱纹满面,衰老佝偻,一支烟枪耷落在他的双膝中间,好象是因为他疲乏无力而滑脱下去似的。
I took two steps forward and looked back.
我向前走了两步,回头看时,不觉大吃一惊。
It took all my self-control to prevent me from breaking out into a cry of astonishment.
幸亏我极力克制才没有失声喊叫出来。
He had turned his back so that none could see him but I.
他也转过身来,除了我,谁也看不见他。
His form had filled out, his wrinkles were gone, the dull eyes had regained their fire,
他的身体的形状已经伸展开了,脸上的皱纹也业已消失,昏花无神的双眼又炯炯有神。
and there, sitting by the fire and grinning at my surprise, was none other than Sherlock Holmes.
这时,坐在炭火盆边望着吃惊的我而咧嘴发笑的,不是别人,竟是歇洛克·福尔摩斯。