"I know, I know." I said. "We've been friends for over 10 years.
“我知道,我知道。”我说。“我们做了10多年的朋友。
I'm just being careful, that's all.
我只是得小心点,仅此而已。
It's not my secret, so it's very important that no one else finds out.
这不是我的秘密,所以不能让其它人知道。
But I know I can trust you."
但我知道我可以信任你。”
"Of course you can! I can't believe you even thought you had to tell me to keep quiet.
“当然!”我真不敢相信你竟然要我保守秘密。
Haven't I kept your secrets all these years?
这些年我把你的秘密说出去了吗?
Don't you remember the time you broke your brother's...?"
你不记得那次你弄坏了你哥哥的…?”
Sydney started to say.
西德尼开始说。
"Don't bring that up again!" I said.
“别再提那件事了!”我说。
"You've made your point. You're right. I won't mention it again."
你已经说的很清楚,你说的对,我不会再提了。”
Sydney seemed satisfied.
西德尼似乎满意。
"So, what kind of work do you have to do on the case?" she asked.
“那么,你要为这个案子做些什么呢?”
"Uncle Jeff wants me to find out everything I can about Dean Maurie," I told Sydney.
“杰夫叔叔想让我了解毛里院长的一切。”我告诉西德尼。
"He's going to talk to the other professors in the department,
“他准备和系里的其他教授谈谈,
but he wants a student's opinion.
但他想了解学生的看法。
Students may talk more freely than the professors who work for the dean.
学生可能比院长手下工作的教授交谈起来更自由。
He wants to find out if the dean has any enemies."
他想知道院长是不是有什么敌人。”