"Oh, you must not discourage me, Mr. Holmes. I know that all is well with him.
"哦,您可别净给我泼冷水,福尔摩斯先生。我知道他准没出事。
There is so keen a sympathy between us that I should know if evil came upon him.
我们两人之间,有一种敏锐的同感力。万一他遭到不幸,我是应当会感到的。
On the very day that I saw him last he cut himself in the bedroom,
就在我最后见到他的那一天,他在卧室里割破了手,
and yet I in the dining-room rushed upstairs instantly with the utmost certainty that something had happened.
而我在餐室里,心里就知道准是出了什么事,所以马上跑上楼去。
Do you think that I would respond to such a trifle and yet be ignorant of his death?"
您想我对这样一桩小事还会反应得这么快,而对于他的死亡,我又怎能毫无感应呢?"
"I have seen too much not to know that the impression of a woman may be more valuable than the conclusion of an analytical reasoner.
"我见过的世面太多了,不会不知道一位妇女所得到的印象或许会比一位分析推理家的论断更有价值。
And in this letter you certainly have a very strong piece of evidence to corroborate your view.
在这封信里,您确乎得到一个强有力的证据来支持您的看法。
But if your husband is alive and able to write letters, why should he remain away from you?"
不过,倘若您的丈夫还活着,而且还能写信的话,那他为什么还呆在外面而不回家呢?"
"I cannot imagine. It is unthinkable."
"我想象不出这是怎么回事,这是不可理解的。"
"And on Monday he made no remarks before leaving you?" "No."
"星期一那天,他离开您时,没说什么吗?""没有。"
"And you were surprised to see him in Swandam Lane?" "Very much so."
"您在天鹅闸巷望见他时是不是大吃一惊?""极为吃惊。"
"Was the window open?" "Yes."
"窗户是开着的吗?""是的。"
"Then he might have called to you?" "He might."
"那么,他也许还可以叫您了?""可以。"
"He only, as I understand, gave an inarticulate cry?" "Yes."
"据我所知,他仅仅发出了不清楚的喊声。""对。"
"A call for help, you thought?" "Yes. He waved his hands."
"您认为是一声呼救的声音吗?""是的,他挥动了他的双手。"
"But it might have been a cry of surprise.
"但是,那也可能是一声吃惊的叫喊。
Astonishment at the unexpected sight of you might cause him to throw up his hands?" "It is possible."
出他意料之外地看到您所引起的惊奇也可能会使他举起双手,是吗?""这是可能的。"
"And you thought he was pulled back?" "He disappeared so suddenly."
"您认为他是被人硬拽回去的吗?""他是那样突然地一下子就不见了。"
"He might have leaped back. You did not see anyone else in the room?"
"他可能是一下子跳回去了。您没有看见房里还有别人吧?"
"No, but this horrible man confessed to having been there, and the lascar was at the foot of the stairs."
"没有,但是那个可怕的人承认他曾在那里,还有那个印度阿三在楼梯脚下。"
"Quite so. Your husband, as far as you could see, had his ordinary clothes on?"
"正是这样。就您所能看到的,您的丈夫穿的还是他平常那身衣服吗?"
"But without his collar or tie. I distinctly saw his bare throat."
"可是没有了硬领和领带。我清清楚楚地看他露着脖子。"
"Had he ever spoken of Swandam Lane?" "Never."
"他以前提到过天鹅闸巷没有?""从来没有。"
"Had he ever showed any signs of having taken opium?" "Never."
"他曾经露出抽过鸦片的任何迹象吗?""从来没有。"
"Thank you, Mrs. St. Clair. Those are the principal points about which I wished to be absolutely clear.
"谢谢您,圣克莱尔太太。这些正是我希望弄得一清二楚的要点。
We shall now have a little supper and then retire, for we may have a very busy day to-morrow."
让我们来吃点晚饭,然后去就寝,因为明天我们也许要忙碌一整天呢。"