"So, how was the move?" he asked when he walked through the front door.
杰夫叔叔从前门进来问道:“搬家怎么样啊?”
"I never knew that one person could have so much stuff.
“我从来不知道一个人可以有这么多东西。
He had more furniture and clothes than a family of five," I said.
他的家具和衣服比一个五口之家的东西还多,”我说。
"What have you been doing?"
“你去哪了?”
"I did some checking on Emil Marcelo," he said.
“我去核实埃米尔·马塞洛了,”他说。
"He works as a real estate agent and sells high-priced office buildings.
“他是一名房地产经纪人,销售高价写字楼。
According to his secretary, he was supposed to be in Denver. His wife was telling the truth."
据他的秘书说,他应该在丹佛。他的妻子说的是实话。”
"He could have come back without telling anyone," I said.
“他可以不告诉任何人就回来的,”我说。
"Yes, but that's something the police can check on easily,
“是的,警察可以轻易查到,
but that we'll have a hard time doing," he said.
案件调查接下来就有些难办了,”杰夫叔叔说。
By this time, Uncle Jeff was heating up some food to eat, too.
这时,杰夫叔叔也在热饭。
We didn't talk for about 10 minutes while we both concentrated on eating.
我们专心吃饭,沉默了有10分钟左右。
When he was done, Uncle Jeff said, "I made another stop this afternoon.
吃完饭后,杰夫叔叔说:“我今天下午去了另一个地方,
I went to see Clara. The police have released her and she's back home.
我去看克拉拉了,警察已经释放了她,她已经回家了。
She seems to be doing okay, not great, but better than yesterday."
她看起来还行,不是特别好,但比昨天好多了。”
"Does she remember any more about what happened?" I asked.
“她还记得发生了什么事吗?”我问。
"No, not at all," he said.
“不,一点也不记得,”杰夫叔叔说。