"I do not know that there is anything else for me to explain.
"我不知道是不是还有些什么别的需要我解释的地方。
I was determined to preserve my disguise as long as possible, and hence my preference for a dirty face.
我当时下定决心长期保持我那化装的样子,所以我宁愿脸上脏一点也没关系。
Knowing that my wife would be terribly anxious,
我晓得我的老婆一定焦急万分,
I slipped off my ring and confided it to the lascar at a moment when no constable was watching me,
我就取下戒指,乘警察不在意的时候,托付给那印度阿三,
together with a hurried scrawl, telling her that she had no cause to fear."
还匆匆写了几行字,告诉我的妻子不必害怕。"
"That note only reached her yesterday," said Holmes.
"那封信昨天才寄到她的手里,"福尔摩斯说。
"Good God! What a week she must have spent!"
"我的天!这一个星期可真够她熬的!"
"The police have watched this lascar," said Inspector Bradstreet,
"警察看住了那个印度阿三,"布雷兹特里特巡官说,
"and I can quite understand that he might find it difficult to post a letter unobserved.
"我很了解:他会觉得要想把信寄出去而不被发现是困难的。
Probably he handed it to some sailor customer of his, who forgot all about it for some days."
大概他把信又转托给某个当海员的顾客,而那家伙又把它一股脑儿地忘了几天。"
"That was it," said Holmes, nodding approvingly; "I have no doubt of it.
"就是这么一回事,"福尔摩斯说,点点头表示同意,"我相信就是这样。
But have you never been prosecuted for begging?"
可是你从来没有因为行骗而被控告过吗?"
"Many times; but what was a fine to me?"
"有过多次了,但是,一点罚款对我来说又算得了什么呢?"
"It must stop here, however," said Bradstreet.
"不过事情必须到此为止,"布雷兹特里特说,
"If the police are to hush this thing up, there must be no more of Hugh Boone."
"如果要警察局不声张出去,必须是休·布恩不再存在了。"
"I have sworn it by the most solemn oaths which a man can take."
"我已经最郑重地发过誓了。"
"In that case I think that it is probable that no further steps may be taken.
"要是这样,我想大概也就不会再深究下去了。
But if you are found again, then all must come out.
可是,你如下次再犯,那我们就要全盘托出。
I am sure, Mr. Holmes, that we are very much indebted to you for having cleared the matter up.
福尔摩斯先生,我得说我们非常感谢您帮助我们澄清这个案件!
I wish I knew how you reach your results."
我希望知道您又是怎样得出这个答案来的呢?"
"I reached this one," said my friend, "by sitting upon five pillows and consuming an ounce of shag.
"这个答案,"福尔摩斯说,"是全靠坐在五个枕头上,抽完一盎司板烟丝得来的。
I think, Watson, that if we drive to Baker Street we shall just be in time for breakfast."
我想,华生,如果我们坐车去贝克街,正好赶上吃早饭。"