"You know my thesis?"he said.
“你知道我的论文吗?”他说。
"I gave the official copy to the dean to sign.
我把复印件交给院长签字。
The university has to get that signed copy by Friday or I won't get my diploma this semester.
学校必须在星期五之前拿到签字的那份复印件,否则我这学期就拿不到毕业证了。
If I don't graduate, I won't get that scholarship to Berkeley. My life will be ruined, over."
如果我毕不了业,我就得不到伯克利大学的奖学金,一切就毁了。”
"Where is the thesis now?"I asked.
“论文现在在哪儿?”我问。
"It must still be in Dean Maurie's office,"he said.
“它肯定还在毛里·院长的办公室里,”他说。
"If I can get it, I can still have the acting dean, who is temporarily doing the dean' work, to sign it before Friday."
“如果我能拿到,我还可以在周五之前让代理院长签字,代理院长暂时在做院长的工作。”
"Can't you tell that to the police?"I asked. "Maybe they'll find it and give it back to you."
“你不能告诉警察吗?”我问。“也许他们会找到它,还给你。”
"I tried,"he said.
“我试过了,”他说。
"They said that nothing can be taken out of that office because it's evidence. I'm in big trouble."He groaned.
“他们说,什么都不能从办公室拿出来,因为这是证据,这可就难办了。”他叹息着。
"Why are you telling me this?"I asked.
“你为什么告诉我这些?”我问。
"Well, I know that your uncle is a friend of Clara Dunn's,"he said.
“我知道你叔叔是克拉拉·邓恩的朋友,”他说。
"I thought he could get her to talk to the police for me. Maybe she could convince them to let me have it."
“我想你叔叔能让克拉拉·邓恩替我去跟警察谈谈。”也许她能说服警察让我拿到。”
"I don't know if that'll work,"I said, "but I'll ask him."
我说:“我不知道这样行不行,我要问问他。”
"Thanks, Derrick. I owe you one."
“谢谢你,德里克,我欠你一个人情。”
I hung up the phone. I felt bad for Ben, but I had an idea how I could help him... and Jennifer.
我挂了电话。我为本感到难过,但我想到一个办法帮他……还有詹妮弗。