I opened each drawer as quietly as possible and searched through them.
我尽可能安静地打开每个抽屉,把它们都翻一遍。
I went through the entire desk, but I didn't find anything. Next, I looked through the bookcases.
我翻遍了整个桌子,但什么也没找到。接下来,我翻遍了书架。
I was looking for an envelope or anything that would hold pictures.
我在找一个信封或任何能装照片的东西。
Nothing. But then, suddenly, I saw something.
什么都没有。但是,突然,我看到了一些东西。
There was a large, thick book behind one of the bookcases.
其中一个书架后面有本又大又厚的书。
I looked at the cover and knew that this was Ben's thesis.
我看了看封面,知道这是本的论文。
I tucked it under my arm and continued looking for the pictures.
我把它夹在腋下,继续寻找照片。
Suddenly, I heard a noise. I looked at my watch. It was 12:53.
突然,我听到一个声音,我看了看表,12:53。
The secretary would be back soon from her lunch hour.
午饭时间一到秘书就会回来。
If I wanted to get out without being seen, I had to leave immediately.
我得马上离开,否则出去就会被人看见。
I had to leave without Jennifer's pictures.
我不得不丢下詹妮弗的照片离开。
I had failed. I slipped out of the office and locked the door again.
我没有找到。我溜出办公室,又把门锁上了。
As I had hoped, the secretary wasn't back yet and I walked out of the office without meeting anyone.
正如我所希望的,秘书还没有回来,我走出办公室,没有见到任何人。
I headed home. I had to put the keys back into Uncle Jeff's room before he missed them.
回到家,我不得不在回杰夫叔叔发现之前,把钥匙放回他的房间。